Do you live off campus and in Rutherford County?
Fact: Students vote where they sleep
Fact: Students vote where they park their car at night
YOU may register to vote if:
- you are a U.S. citizen;
- you are 18 years of age, or will be, on/or before the next election;
- you are a resident of Tennessee;
- you have not been convicted of a felony or, if convicted, had voting rights restored by a court order or pardon.
Your address is a major component of the Application for Voter Registration!
I am registering in Rutherford County and I live off campus:
- Online Registration - You must have a Tennessee ID for this option. You can easily obtain one at the
DMV. It does not have to be a drivers license.
- Click on the "Online Registration" button below to begin. Follow the instructions on each page. The online registration will not let you advance to the next page without fully completing the previous!
- ALWAYS check, and double check your application before you submit. The online version will let you review before submission.
- If you are registering in Rutherford County and live in an apartment, your "Address Where You Live" will be your apartment address. If this is also the "Address Where You Get Your Mail," you will select the box that says "Same As Residence." You may or may not also have an MTSU post office box that might be your "Address Where You Get Your Mail." Your return address on the mailer envelope will be the same as the address where you get your mail.
- Paper Mail In Registration- Available here!
- All of the instructions for online are the same for the paper registration. The paper registration does not require a Tennessee ID for registration. However, you will need either a Tennessee State or Federally issued ID to vote!
- You will address the Application for Voter Registration to the Rutherford County Election Commission, 1 Public Square South, Rutherford County Bldg. Rm. 103, Murfreesboro, TN 37130. Put a stamp on the envelope and mail it. Or, you can personally deliver the application to the election commission office on the south side of town square across from the courthouse
- Click here to see which five areas on the application are the most frequently forgotten or overlooked - then double-check your application to make sure everything is filled out!
I’ve applied, but now what?
You are not registered until you receive your actual voter registration card in the mail. When it arrives, safely hold onto it! It’s official paperwork, like your driver’s license and Social Security card.
Your voter card should arrive in the mail to you within about two weeks. You need to be looking for it and proactive about following up. If in two weeks you haven’t received it, call the election commission and make inquiries.
*The first time you vote, MUST be in person!
You cannot vote without your official registration card and also without a state or
federal photo identification card. Your MTSU University ID card will not provide the
identification you need. You must have a driver’s license or other acceptable official
photo ID (http://www.tn.gov/sos/election/photoID.htm). If you do not have one, the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security can provide one for you.
When and where do I vote?
Your voter registration card will designate precisely your voting precinct. You may need to check with your election commission for the exact address of the polling location for your precinct. Select the button below for quick access to Rutherford County voting locations.
When I go to the polls, what will I be expected to vote on?
Your county election commission’s website will provide a sample ballot you may examine
prior to going to the polls in the upcoming elections in which you will participate.
Spread the word. Help others register to vote. Study the candidates. Read newspapers. Compare media biases. Be informed. Be prepared. Be smart. Be a good citizen. Be an MTSU civically engaged Blue Raider!
I still have lots of questions! Who will help me?
We'll answer all your questions
and get you registered!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stop by and visit us at HONR 221
Students with questions about any election process should call the Rutherford County Election Commission at 615-898-7743, or email inquiries to email@example.com. The Election Commission office is located at 1 Public Square South, Room 103, Murfreesboro, TN 37130.
You can also check out these helpful websites: