Records Management & Retention
The University follows the records retention schedules set forth by the State of Tennessee Records Management Division, as approved by the State's Public Records Commission. To comply with the procedures of the Records Management Division, MTSU has established the following:
- Designation of a Records Officer
- Records Coordinators for each University Division/unit
- Annual records destruction events
- An MTSU Certificate of Records Destruction
- A Records Retention Database
In addition, the State's records classifications and retention schedules have been condensed into a single document for MTSU use entitled, “Records Classification Guide” with a list of the record types most applicable to the University. The Records Classification Guide provides a description of the record type; the corresponding State classification number (RDA, SW, or SW-U number); the retention period; and a description of the ending action for the record (destruction or to keep permanently). As new Classifications are created and/or updated by the State’s Records Management Division that are applicable to the University, the Records Classification Guide will be updated.
The following is a list of documents and resources to assist the MTSU community with the maintenance, retention, and disposal of certain records. Updates to this section will occur as State record classification number updates occur.
- Tennessee Records Management Division Statewide University Classifications - September 2017
- Tennessee Records Management Division Statewide Classifications Overview - September 2017
- Records Classification Guide
- MTSU Certificate of Records Destruction
- Policy 129 - Records Retention and Disposal of Records
For additional information regarding records retention schedules, or for assistance with questions regarding records destruction or records maintenance, please contact the Records Officer at email@example.com.