**Please come back and visit us periodically for updates!**
|Finding an Advisor||Psychology Majors||Candidacy|
|Psychology Online||Psychology Minors||Other Info|
Frequently Asked Questions
Please visit our "Who Is My Advisor?" webpage then click on "Psychology" to find your advisor's name. Instructions for scheduling an advising appointment are available on the right and also at the bottom of that webpage.
- Q: What is the Psychology major?
- A: 38-hour program designed for students who have a variety of career goals and interests
- Q: Do I need a minor?
- A: Two 15-hour minors are required for this major. Although not required, students may choose a specialty minor in psychology as one of their two minors. At least one of the two minors, however, must be non-psychology.
- Q: What can I do with my degree in Psychology?
- A: An undergraduate degree in Psychology can strengthen skills in human relations, communication, research, and creativity. That foundation can lead to a plethora of diverse and satisfying careers.
- Q: Can I complete the Psychology major online?
- A: The 38-hour major in psychology at MTSU is one of several majors at MTSU that can be completed online. Please note that not every course in the department is offered online and that only a select number of non-core classes in the major are presently offered online. Students who are interested in completing their coursework for the major by taking online classes should carefully plan their course selections and verify with their advisor that a course is going to be offered when needed.
- Academic Map
- True Blue Psychology Preview Video
Industrial-Organizational Psychology Major
- Q: What is the I/O Psychology Major all about?
- A: Industrial/Organizational Psychology deals with a variety of human resource and organizational issues, such as employee selection, training, job analysis, and employee motivation. The major in Industrial/Organizational Psychology is a 46-hour program designed to (a) prepare students for entry-level positions in human resource departments of business and industries and (b) provide a background for students wishing to pursue graduate work in psychology, industrial/organizational psychology, or related fields.
- Q: Do I need a minor?
- A: One minor is required and must be selected from a pre-approved list. See advisor.
- Q: Are I/O classes offered every semester?
- A: It is very important that the student consult their advisor because some courses are only offered once a year.
- Q: Can the I/O Psychology major be completed online?
- A: No.
- Academic Map
- True Blue I/O Psychology Preview Video
Pre-Graduate Psychology Concentration
- Q: What is the Pre-graduate Concentration?
- A: 41-hour concentration designed for students who plan to pursue graduate education in Ph.D. psychology programs or research-intensive masters programs; requires an application for admission
- Q: How do I know if I’m eligible?
- A: Because GPA is an important consideration for admission to a graduate program, students who apply to the Pre-Graduate Psychology concentration should be competitive applicants for either Ph.D. or selective master's programs and have a minimum of a 3.25 overall GPA, a 3.50 for the last 30 hours, and 3.50 major GPA. A minimum grade of C- is required for all core required courses in this program, with the exception of PSY3020, PSY3070/1, and PSY4070, for which a grade of B- or better is required.
- Q: When do I apply?
- A: It is recommended that students apply between the completion of 45 and 60 credit hours; transfer students should have completed a minimum of one semester at MTSU before applying. Students who are interested in finding out more about this major should consult with the program's faculty program advisor early in their course of study.
- Q: Do I need a minor?
- A: One 15-hour non-psychology minor is required.
- Q: Can the Pre-Graduate concentration be completed online?
All students are required to be admitted to candidacy for all Psychology majors. To apply for candidacy, a student must have:
- Completed at least 30 hours of coursework (not to include learning support courses);
- Completed the following General Education requirements: ENGL 1010; ENGL 1020; MATH 1530, MATH 1710, MATH 1730, or higher; and a science course (preferably a biology course) with a minimum 2.00 GPA; and
- Completed the following psychology courses: PSY 1410, PSY 2000, and PSY 2210 or PSY 2300 with a minimum 2.00 GPA. (A grade of C- or better is required in PSY 1410, PSY 2210, and PSY 2300.)
Candidacy will be granted three times per year--after the end of the Fall and Spring semesters and after the end of the Summer term. Students will have required advising every semester until they have successfully completed admission to candidacy.
The application for admission to candidacy is an online application. Applications should be submitted by students the semester after they have completed the above requirements.
The entire 38-hour general Psychology major can be completed online. I/O Psychology and the Pre-graduate concentration cannot be completed online. All required PSY Core classes are offered in online format at least once per academic year. Many PSY electives are also offered online at various times. When searching for online courses be sure to select courses with section numbers preceded by the letter D for MTSU Distance Learning.
Two minors are still required for Psychology majors who choose to complete coursework online. Note that the list of minors that can be completed entirely online is small. Please consult with your academic advisor for more information about appropriate online minors.
The Psychology Department offers the following minors:
- Psychology (for non-PSY majors)
- Lifespan Development
- Mental Health Services
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Behavioral Research (interdisciplinary)
Look up requirements for minors in the undergraduate catalog.
Have questions about upper division, intent to graduate, or other forms? Need to know how to prepare for graduation or what exit exam is required? Visit our Advising FAQs webpage for helpful info!