Case Categories: Election Regulations and Ballot Access
- Anderson v. Celebrezze (1983)
In Anderson v. Celebrezze (1983), the Supreme Court struck down on First Amendment grounds a state law that imposed early filing requirements for an independent...
- Brown v. Hartlage (1982)
In Brown v. Hartlage (1982), the Supreme Court struck down a Kentucky court’s decision invalidating the election of a county commissioner under a state...
- Buckley v. American Constitutional Law Foundation (1999)
In Buckley v. American Constitutional Law Foundation (1999), the Supreme Court struck down Colorado’s requirements that people circulating ballot petitions be...
- Burdick v. Takushi (1992)
In Burdick v. Takushi (1992), the Supreme Court upheld Hawaii’s ban on write-in voting, deciding the state had important regulatory interests for the ban. The...
- Burson v. Freeman (1992)
The Supreme Court in Burson v. Freeman (1992) upheld a Tennessee law that provided for a 100-foot “campaign free zone” around the entrance to polling places...
- California Democratic Party v. Jones (2000)
- Clingman v. Beaver (2005)
The Libertarian Party of Oklahoma wanted to invite anyone to vote in its primaries, and claimed a state law violated its First Amendment right to association....
- Democratic Party of United States v. Wisconsin ex rel. LaFollette (1981)
In Democratic Party of United States v. Wisconsin ex rel. LaFollette (1981), the Supreme Court ruled that state laws dictating how delegates vote at national...
- Eu v. San Francisco County Democratic Central Committee (1989)
In Eu v. San Francisco County Democratic Central Committee (1989), the Supreme Court ruled on state regulation of political parties. It said California’s...
- Gerende v. Board of Supervisors of Elections of Baltimore (1951)
- Illinois State Board of Elections v. Socialist Workers Party (1979)
- Jenness v. Fortson (1971)
- John Doe #1 v. Reed (2010)
- Minnesota Voters Alliance v. Mansky (2018)
A Minnesota law that prohibited wearing political apparel at polling places was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court as unconstitutional. The law violated the...
- Munro v. Socialist Workers Party (1986)
- Norman v. Reed (1992)
- Republican Party of Minnesota v. White (2002)
- Storer v. Brown (1974)
- Susan B. Anthony List v. Driehaus (2014)
- Tashjian v. Republican Party of Connecticut (1986)
- Timmons v. Twin Cities Area New Party (1997)
- Williams v. Rhodes (1968)
- Zwickler v. Koota (1967)