Case Categories: Obscenity and Pornography
- Alberts v. California (1957)
Alberts v. California (1957), the companion case to Roth v. United States, marks the first time the Supreme Court specifically ruled that the First Amendment...
- Alexander v. United States (1993)
In Alexander v. United States (1993), the Supreme Court rejected claims of a petitioner convicted under obscenity and racketeering laws that his First Amendment...
- American Booksellers Association v. Hudnut (7th Cir.) (1985)
In American Booksellers Association v. Hudnut, the 7th Circuit upheld a federal district court opinion declaring unconstitutional an Indianapolis anti-...
- Arcara v. Cloud Books, Inc. (1986)
In Arcara v. Cloud Books, Inc. (1986), the Supreme Court upheld the application of a New York public-health law to close an adult bookstore. The bookstore had...
- Ashcroft v. American Civil Liberties Union (2002, 2004)
In Ashcroft v. American Civil Liberties Union, 535 U.S. 564 (2002), a fractured Supreme Court temporarily avoided deciding the constitutionality of a federal...
- Ashcroft v. Free Speech Coalition (2002)
In Ashcroft v. Free Speech Coalition (2002), the Supreme Court struck down portions of the federal Child Pornography Prevention Act (CPPA) of 1996 that banned...
- Bantam Books, Inc. v. Sullivan (1963)
In Bantam Books, Inc. v. Sullivan (1963), the Supreme Court ruled that states must provide adequate procedural safeguards when establishing a mechanism to...
- Blount v. Rizzi (1971)
In Blount v. Rizzi (1971), the Supreme Court nullified provisions allowing the postmaster general to refuse to mail obscene matter. The ruling said the First...
- Brockett v. Spokane Arcades, Inc. (1985)
One of several “obscenity” cases decided by the Supreme Court after Miller v. California (1973), Brockett v. Spokane Arcades, Inc. (1985) provides a First...
- Butler v. Michigan (1957)
The Supreme Court in Butler v. Michigan (1957) unanimously held that a Michigan law against obscene materials curtailed press freedom. The law violated 14th...
- Byrne v. Karalexis (1969, 1971)
In Byrne v. Karalexis (1969), the Supreme Court stayed a temporary injunction that a federal district court had issued against further prosecutions of theater...
- Cain v. Kentucky (1970)
The Supreme Court in 1970 reversed a Kentucky appeals court ruling that had declared the erotic film I, A Woman obscene. The court issued a per curiam decision...
- Commonwealth v. Sharpless (Pa) (1815)
An 1815 Pennsylvania case led to the first obscenity prosecution in the United States. Jesse Sharpless, who had been indicted for corrupting youth by showing...
- Erznoznik v. City of Jacksonville (1975)
In Erznoznik v. City of Jacksonville (1975), the Supreme Court held that under the First Amendment government may not censor expression simply because it...
- Fort Wayne Books, Inc. v. Indiana (1989)
In Fort Wayne Books, Inc. v. Indiana (1989), the Supreme Court said an Indiana provision allowing pretrial seizure of allegedly obscene material imposed an...
- Ginsberg v. New York (1968)
- Ginzburg v. United States (1966)
- Grimm v. United States (1895)
- Grove Press v. Gerstein (1964)
- Grove Press v. Maryland State Board of Censors (1971)
- Hamling v. United States (1974)
In this case, the Supreme Court upheld the conviction of several individuals for their role in distributing advertisements of the book The Illustrated...
- Heller v. New York (1973)
- Jacobellis v. Ohio (1964)
- Jenkins v. Georgia (1974)
- Kaplan v. California (1973)
- Kingsley Books, Inc. v. Brown (1957)
- Lo-Ji Sales, Inc. v. New York (1979)
- Luke Records v. Navarro (11th Cir.) (1992)
- Manual Enterprises v. Day (1962)
- Marcus v. Search Warrant (1961)
- Marks v. United States (1977)
- Massachusetts v. Oakes (1989)
- McKinney v. Alabama (1976)
- Memoirs v. Massachusetts (1966)
- Miller v. California (1973)
- Mishkin v. New York (1966)
- New York v. Ferber (1982)
- New York v. P.J. Video, Inc. (1986)
- One, Inc. v. Olesen (9th Cir.) (1957)
- Osborne v. Ohio (1990)
- Paris Adult Theatre I v. Slaton (1973)
- Pinkus v. United States (1978)
- Pope v. Illinois (1987)
- Rabeck v. New York (1968)
- Redrup v. New York (1967)
- Roaden v. Kentucky (1973)
- Rosen v. United States (1896)
- Roth v. United States (1957)
- Smith v. California (1959)
- Smith v. United States (1977)
- Stanley v. Georgia (1969)
- Swearingen v. United States (1896)
- United States v. American Library Association (2003)
- United States v. Orito (1973)
- United States v. Reidel (1971)
- United States v. Stevens (2010)
- United States v. Thirty-seven Photographs (1971)
- United States v. Twelve 200-Ft. Reels of Film (1973)
- United States v. Williams (2008)
- Virginia v. American Booksellers Association (1988)
- Winters v. New York (1948)