Topics: Laws and Proposed Laws, 1951-2007
- American Indian Religious Freedom Act of 1978 as Amended in 1994 (1994)
The 1994 amendment to the American Indian Religious Freedom Act of 1978 allowed peyote use by Native American tribes as part of the practice of religion. The...
- Anti-Dial-a-Porn Act of 1989 (1989)
Congress passed the Anti Dial-a-Porn Act of 1989 to prohibit the availability of obscene and indecent interstate telephone recordings via toll numbers. The...
- Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 (2002)
The Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act (2002) added campaign contribution and spending rules in federal elections and set rules for electioneering communications....
- Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act of 2005 (2005)
The Broadcast Decency Enforcement Act of 2005 increased fines against broadcasters tenfold for violating obscenity and indecency standards. The law was designed...
- Cable Communications Policy Act of 1984 (1984)
The Federal Communications Commission gained jurisdiction to regulate cable in 1984 with the passage of the Cable Communications Policy Act. The act later...
- Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992 (1992)
The Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992 act recognized that cable had become the primary delivery system for broadcast programming...
- Child Online Protection Act of 1998 (1998)
A 1998 law devised to prevent minors from accessing obscene material on the Internet was found to be too broad in limiting free speech rights and struck down....
- Child Pornography Prevention Act of 1996 (1996)
The Supreme Court overturned the Child Pornography and Prevention Act in Ashcroft v. Free Speech Coalition (2002) ruling it was too broad and unconstitutional....
- Child Protection and Obscenity Enforcement Act of 1988 (1988)
The purpose of the Child Protection and Obscenity Enforcement Act of 1988 was to criminalize the transmission of depictions of child pornography via computers....
- Child Protection Restoration and Penalties Enhancement Act of 1990 (1990)
A 1990 law increased criminal penalties to knowingly produce, transport, distribute or receive depictions of children engaged in sexually explicit conduct....
- Children's Internet Protection Act of 2000
The Supreme Court upheld the Children’s Internet Protection Act which requires schools and libraries to block children’s access to pornography or lose...
- Communications Decency Act of 1996 (1996)
- Communist Control Act of 1954 (1954)
- Copyright Act of 1976 (1976)
- Deleting Online Predators Act
The proposed federal Deleting Online Predators Act would require public schools and libraries to block student access to “social networking websites,”...
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (1998)
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 introduced prohibitions against circumventing technological measures that control access to or use of copyrighted...
- Don't Ask, Don't Tell
"Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell" popularly refers to the U.S. military’s policy toward gays and lesbians serving in the armed forces. The policy allows individuals...
- Dot Kids Implementation and Efficiency Act of 2002 (2002)
The Dot Kids Implementation and Efficiency Act of 2002 attempts to protect minors from inappropriate internet material by creating a “safe haven” website....
- Draft Card Mutilation Act of 1965 (1965)
Draft-card burning became an iconic form of protest during the Vietnam War. After Congress adopted the Draft Card Mutilation Act of 1965 to promote the...
- Equal Access Act of 1984 (1984)
The Equal Access Act of 1984 forbids public schools from receiving federal funds if they deny students the First Amendment right to hold meetings owing to...
- Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 (1971)
The Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 regulated the financing of federal election campaigns, including money raised and spent by candidates and political...
- Flag Protection Acts of 1968 and 1989
- Free Flow of Information Act
- Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act of 1994 (1994)
- Freedom of Information Act of 1966 (1966)
- Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2006 (2006)
- International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 (1998)
- Must-Carry Rules
- National Do Not Call Registry
- Newspaper Preservation Act of 1970 (1970)
- Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (1996)
- Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation Act of 1977 (1977)
- Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act of 1969 (1969)
- Radio Act of 1912 (1912)
- Radio Act of 1927 (1927)
- Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 (1993)
- Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act of 2000 (2000)
- Religious Liberty and Charitable Donation Protection Act of 1998 (1998)
- Telecommunications Act of 1996 (1996)
- USA Patriot Act of 2001 (2001)
- Workplace Religious Freedom Act