Step #1 - Admission to MTSU

The first step is starting the process to become a MTSU student.

How To Apply

Applying to MTSU starts with an admission application.

Submit Military Training Records for Credit Evaluation

If you are an honorably discharged veteran, National Guard member, military reservist, or active duty service member, the training you received in the military can generally translate to elective credit towards your degree.

To evaluate this prior learning, submit the following information once you have applied to MTSU:

  • Member 4 DD214 or the Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), and
  • Joint Services Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript

Potentially, you are eligible for a maximum of 52 elective credits from the JST and up to 8 (MS 1010, MS 1020, MS 2010, PHED ACTY) from the DD214 or LES.  Credit from a DD214 or LES is determined by the amount of time served.  Please note that some degree programs may limit the number of prior learning hours that can be used.

Usually, all credit from the JST and Community College of the Air Force is posted as either upper division or lower division elective credit. These credits can be used to fulfill elective requirements. If you believe the credit is equivalent to an MTSU course, then you may petition the department to accept the elective credit as a substitution for a specific required course. There may also be options via the B.S. in Liberal Studies in which Military Credit can be used as one area of emphasis.

To obtain military training records, please see the service / branch transcript request information below.

Army, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard

Air Force
100 S. Turner Blvd.
Maxwell AFB, AL 36114
Community College of the Air Force Transcript

Other Ways to Earn College Credit

  • Global Studies Credit - If you were deployed or have spent time in another country, you may be eligible for credit from that experience. To find out, contact:
  • Adult Degree Completion Program -
  • Earn Credit by Examination
    • CLEP, CEEB, DSST, Credit by Special Exam, International Baccalaureate Program, Foreign Language Tests, the Advanced Placement Examinations (AP), the American College Testing Program (ACT).  For more information, access the university undergraduate catalog here.


Before your admission to MTSU can be completed, you will need to provide proof of immunization. A copy of your DD 214, submitted along with a Hepatitis B/Meningitis Immunity online acknowledgment (see instructions below), will provide adequate proof for all immunizations for those students living off campus.

For information, visit immunization requirements.

Instructions for locating/completing the acknowledgment form:

  1. Sign into PipelineMT.
  2. Click on the RaiderNet tab.
  3. Click on the Student tab.
  4. Select Registration.
  5. Select Add or Drop Classes.
  6. Select Term.
  7. The form will display if the student is 18 years of age or older and the student will need to answer both questions and click on the Submit button. Once completed, the student will get a confirmation page with a link "Return to Registration" which takes them to the "Add Class" box to enter call numbers.
  8. The message informing a student to print a form from the web will display if the student is under the age of 18. A parent or legal guardian is required to sign the form and return to Health Services. This form can be mailed (MTSU Box 0237, Murfreesboro, TN 37132) or faxed to (615) 898-5004

Residency Requirements

A veteran, or any individual entitled to the veteran’s education benefits, enrolled at MTSU shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition if the veteran or the eligible individual:

  • Is eligible for post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits or Montgomery GI Bill benefits
  • Enrolls at MTSU after satisfying admission requirements, within 3 years from the date of discharge as reflected on the veteran’s certificate of release or discharge from active duty, Form DD-214 or an equivalent document
  • Maintains continuous full-time enrollment
  • Provides 2 of the following within 3 years from the first date of enrollment:
    • Tennessee driver’s license
    • Tennessee motor vehicle registration
    • Tennessee voter's registration
    • Proof of established employment in Tennessee
    • Other documentation clearly evidencing domicile or residence in Tennessee as determined by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission  

Aside from the above, if your member 4 DD214 has a Tennessee address, that will result in in-state classification.  TN National Guard members are also granted in-state tuition (after verification each semester of continued enrollment and good standing with the TN Guard)

The Undergraduate Admissions office is charged with classifying new undergraduate students as in-state or out-of-state for fee-paying purposes, according to the guidelines established by the state legislature and the Tennessee Board of Regents. If there is any reason to question your status as a permanent resident of Tennessee, we will classify you out-of-state until we receive a completed in-state classification application and supporting documents. Click on the link below for a copy of the in-state classification application online. The in-state classification application should be filed with the Admissions Office at least 10 days in advance of the start of the semester so that we will have time to process it before your fees are due. 

If your in-state classification application was denied, contact the Student Affairs Office at (615) 898-2750 to schedule an appeal before the In-State Classification Appeals Committee. Students appealing their residency decision have the option of meeting in person with the Committee to explain their situation. You cannot contact the Appeals Committee until after your in-state classification application has been denied by the Admissions Office.

For additional information regarding in-state classification for fee payment purposes, contact Scott Hurt.

The College of Graduate Studies is charged with classifying new graduate students as in-state or out-of-state for fee-paying purposes, according to the guidelines established by the state legislature and the Tennessee Board of Regents. Click on the links below for a copy of the in-state classification application online or academic common market.

For information on the in-state application for the College of Graduate Studies, please contact:

Dr. David Butler
Vice Provost for Research and Dean of the College of Graduate Studies
Room 0121 Ingram Building
MTSU Box 0042
(615) 898-2182