Undergraduate Change of Major/Program

Choosing the right major and minor can be challenging and many students make the decision to change their majors and/or minors sometime during their undergraduate careers.  Students may explore possible major career in the Undecided Advising Center, KOM, Suite 102 or visit mtsu.edu/programs.

Students who want to change their current major, change catalog requirement year, add an additional major, concentration or minor must meet with their current college advisor or the college advisor of the proposed new major/minor.  By meeting with an advisor, students ensure the major/minor selection meets career goals as well as abides by University policy.  Certain majors require specific minors or limit your minor choices. Some majors require candidacy prior to enrollment in the upper-division courses.

Only college and faculty advisors can submit a curriculum change to the Records Office for processing on behalf of the student.  Submitted major/minor changes will be processed for the current term.  Once the change is made, updated degree requirements will be viewable in Degree Works and an audit run to determine federal aid eligible for Course Program of Study (CPoS).

When the Records Office receives an advisor approved change for a student receiving military veterans’ benefits, secondary approval from the Daniel’s Center will be required before the student’s curriculum is updated.  Student-athletes may request a change of major by meeting with the appropriate SAEC advisor for approval and completing required paperwork in conjunction with the appropriate college advisor.