Fraud Alert Tips to Safeguard MTSU Assets
The following is information regarding Fraud Alerts of which MTSU employees should be aware. As a precaution, follow the steps below to safeguard MTSU and State financial and operational assets:
- Do not provide personal information or information about MTSU, including the University's structure or network information, to any individual by phone or email unless you are certain of a person's authority to have the information.
- Do not reveal personal or financial information in email.
- Do not respond to email solicitations for MTSU financial or contractual information.
- Do not send sensitive and financial information over the Internet without authenticating the legitimacy of a vendor, or verifying the vendor's identity.
- Pay close attention to the email address of a sender, as there may be minor errors in the sender's address if it is a fictitious email posing as real vendor.
- Pay close attention to emails that contain multiple spelling and grammatical errors.
- Notify MTSU's ITD Department in you receive a fictitious email or suspicious phone call requesting financial or personal information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may also contact the State of Tennessee's Treasury Department Division of Claims and Risk Management Director at email@example.com regarding suspected financial scams.