Frequently Asked Questions

New Students  Advisor Info  Student Forms  Graduating Seniors  Other Info

Information for New Students

I am a freshman or transfer student. What steps should I take to get registered for the upcoming semester?

Please visit our New Freshman and New Transfer webpages for helpful info on getting started at MTSU.


I am returning to MTSU after a break or after attending another school. What steps do I need to take?

Readmitted students need to complete the admission process first, by reapplying to MTSU and submitting any new transcripts to the Admissions Office. Visit How to Apply and click on Re-Enrolling Students for more information; contact the MTSU Admissions Office (615- 898-2111) for any questions concerning applications. After you are readmitted, please contact a faculty or college advisor for assistance with your selection of courses.

Back to Top

Advisor Information

There are faculty advisors and college advisors. Who am I supposed to see?

Your faculty advisor has expertise in your field of study and can help you with career-related questions and decisions.  Your college advisor is a higher education expert and focuses more on helping you complete your degree.

You should meet with your college advisor on a regular basis to discuss your progress in your degree program and to plan for future classes. Use the "Instructions" and "Schedule" buttons on the left of this page to schedule an appointment with your advisor via the Navigate website.

Your faculty advisor will be assigned by your major department, generally at a certain point in your degree program. You can schedule an appointment directly with your faculty advisor, rather than through Navigate.

The names and contact information for your advisors is available on PipelineMT: 

  • Log into PipelineMT by clicking the link at the top right of the screen.
  • Click on "Registration & Student Records" in the menu on the left.
  • Click on "Assigned Advisor(s)" in the quick-access box on the top right of the screen. 

How do I get a faculty/major advisor?

Faculty advisors are assigned by departments. You may find your assigned advisor by following the steps listed above. If you do not currently see a faculty advisor listed in PipelineMT, your department may assign an advisor at a future time, such as after you're admitted into a competitive program.

How do I get a minor advisor?

Contact the department of your minor and ask to be assigned a minor advisor.

How do I schedule an appointment with my advisor?

New students generally do not meet with an advisor until attending a Customs new student orientation session during the weeks before the first semester at MTSU. If you are an incoming freshman or transfer student, please visit our New Freshman and New Transfer webpages for helpful info on getting started at MTSU. (Interested in nursing? See below for advising info.)

If you are a current or returning student, you can schedule an advising appointment to meet with your college advisor. First, read these instructions for scheduling an appointment, then schedule an advising appointment. (Use your PipelineMT username and password to log in.)

A few tips:

  • Plan ahead and schedule early! If you wait until a busy time such as priority registration to schedule your appointment, you may have to wait a few days for an open appointment.
  • Be sure to choose a time that doesn't conflict with your classes!
  • Allow enough time for the appointment, and arrive on time. Most appointments are 30 minutes but can sometimes run long. If you arrive more than a few minutes late or must leave early for class, you'll generally be asked to reschedule the appointment.

I'm interested in the nursing program.  Can I meet with an advisor?

You'll start by attending one of our nursing information sessions. Find more info and register to attend on our nursing info webpage

If you have questions and wish to speak with someone after attending a session and reading the nursing info webpage carefully, you may schedule an appointment with an academic advisor. If you'll be a new freshman or transfer student, please note that selection of and registration for classes will occur during your Customs new student orientation session.  There is no need to schedule an individual advising appointment for that purpose.

Back to Top

Student Forms

What is an academic map?

An academic map is a suggested four-year schedule of courses based on degree requirements in the undergraduate catalog. This sample schedule serves as a general guideline to help build a full schedule each term. Milestones, courses, and special requirements necessary for timely progress to complete a major are designated to keep you on track to graduate in four years. Missing milestones could delay your program.

The academic map is not a substitute for academic advisement; contact your advisor if you have any questions about scheduling or about your degree requirements. Note: Requirements are continually under revision, and there is no guarantee they will not be changed or revoked; contact the department and/or program area for current information.

Maps can be accessed via the MTSU Undergraduate Catalog; click on the Academic Map link on the left side of the page. You may change the catalog term via the dropdown box in the top right corner of the page. Please make sure the catalog year matches your assigned catalog term in PipelineMT:

  • Log into PipelineMT by clicking the link at the top right of the screen.
  • Click on "Registration & Student Records" in the menu on the left.
  • Click on Student Information, near the bottom right of the page.
  • Choose the current semester and click Submit.
  • "Catalog Term" field is near the bottom of the page.

What is the upper division form?

The upper division form is a binding document between advisors and students, which validates progression towards successful completion of general education, major, and minor credits. The upper division form is a working document that must be updated with grades received after each semester. Grades and all accompanying personal information on the upper division form must be accurate. You'll generally receive an upper division form from your academic advisor at each advising appointment.

When should I complete and submit the upper division form?

An upper division form should be submitted two or three semesters prior to graduation, along with the Intent to Graduate form noted below.

What is the Intent to Graduate form and when should I complete this form?

The Intent to Graduate form allows you to identify how you would like your name displayed on your diploma, and the location as to where you would like your diploma to be mailed. Furthermore, the form allows you to highlight your major and minor pursuits while enrolled at Middle Tennessee State University. The intent to graduate form should be submitted with the upper division form two or three semesters prior to graduation. To submit the forms, check in at the CBHS Advising Center, CKNB room 108; let the front desk staff know that you need to turn in graduation paperwork to the Graduation Analyst, Angel Bowman.

What if I want to change my graduation date after submitting the upper division and intent to graduate forms?

If you need to update your graduation date, please contact Ms. Angel Bowman via your MTSU email and provide the following information: 

Full Name, MTSU ID #, Old Graduation Date, New Graduation Date

Who is eligible to complete an overload form for more than eighteen hours a semester?

Fifteen or sixteen semester hours of credit is the “normal” Fall or Spring load for students who wish to graduate in four years. Eighteen semester hours (excluding courses for audit) is the maximum load for a student during any semester while enrolled only at MTSU or concurrently at another institution. However, an exception may be granted to students who submit a Request for Overload form and meet the following academic requirements:

  1. Students with a 3.50 average on all college work attempted may be permitted to take up to 21 semester hours in a semester.
  2. Students with a 3.00 average may be permitted to take a maximum of 19 hours in a semester provided one hour is a physical education activity.

Graduating seniors may be permitted to take an overload with the limits above during the last semester in residence to graduate.

Back to Top

Information for Graduating Seniors

Please see our handy graduation checklist and the Intent to Graduate paperwork info above regarding the graduation forms to submit and when to submit them.

What tests are required for graduating seniors?

Graduating seniors are required to take two exit exams: the major field test and the general education exam. 

The major field test is required for most majors* during the expected semester of graduation. Visit the Senior Exit Exams webpage for more information.

General Education Exit Exam information can be reviewed on the Senior Exit Exams webpage.  Please Note: You will receive pertinent information via your MT Mail account, so it is pivotal to review your emails on a regular basis during your time at the university, and most importantly, during the final two semesters of your educational career.

*Nursing, physical education, and health education majors do not take a major field test before graduation. Instead, the licensure exam taken after graduation is used as the major exam.

Back to Top

Other Information

How do I change my major?

You will need to meet with a college advisor, generally the appropriate advisor for your new major. Your advisor will be happy to submit a change of major form on your behalf.

Not sure what major you want to change to?  Check out our helpful info on how to learn about other MTSU majors above!

Am I eligible to take honors courses?

Students who meet certain academic requirements are eligible to take honors courses:

  • New freshman: 25 or higher ACT score (SAT: 1160) and 3.5 or higher high school GPA
  • Transfer or current student: 12 hours or more of college credit and 3.25 or higher GPA (Less than 12 hours? you can qualify under the freshman rules!)

Eligible students are encouraged to enroll in Honors courses even though they may not plan to graduate from the University Honors College. Students who wish to complete an honors minor and graduate from the University Honors College will meet with an honors advisor in addition to their CBHS college advisor. For more information about the honors program, visit the  University Honors College website.

How do I correct my high school deficiencies?

Information can be accessed via the MTSU Undergraduate Catalog.  Click on the Admissions & Registration link on the left side of the page, then on How to Correct High School Deficiencies.

How do I review my registration holds?

  • Log into PipelineMT by clicking the link at the top right of the screen.
  • Click on "Registration & Student Records" in the menu on the left.
  • Click on "View My Holds" in the quick-access box on the top right of the screen. 

Back to Top

I have a Behavioral and Health Science hold on my account. What does that mean and how do I have the hold removed?

Behavioral and Health Sciences holds are placed on students who are freshmen (less than 30 earned hours) and/or in prescribed (K) classes. Schedule an appointment with your assigned advisor to have the hold removed. First, read these instructions for scheduling an appointment, then schedule an advising appointment. (Use your Pipeline username and password to log in.)

What can I do with this major/degree?

Review the Career Development Center website to find out possible career opportunities with your major.

Where can I find more frequently asked questions specific to my major or other departments?

(Links open in new tabs/windows)

Be sure to also visit the Toolbox webpage for your major, using the links on the left!

Back to Top

Appointment Instructions

Schedule Advising Appointment

Having trouble logging in?  Click the Instructions button above!

Advising Folder



CBHS Wordle