Nursing Information for Prospective Students
You can learn more about MTSU’s School of Nursing through the following opportunities:
Join us at one or more of our upcoming nursing information sessions; the sessions are for prospective students or for MTSU students who are interested in applying to the nursing program. You'll learn more about the program and have an opportunity to ask any questions you may have. We hope to see you there!
Dates and Times: On the 1st and 3rd Friday of each month, and other dates as noted below:
- Friday, Feb. 7 @ 3 p.m. in CKNB N116
- Friday, Feb. 21 @ 3 p.m. in CKNB N116
- Friday, Mar 6 @ 3 p.m. in CKNB N116
- Friday, Mar 20 @ 3 p.m. in CKNB N116
- Friday, Apr 3 @ 3 p.m. in CKNB N116
- Friday, April 17 @ 3 p.m. in CKNB N119
RSVP: Please let us know to expect you!
Location and Parking Info:
- All sessions are held at the Cason-Kennedy Nursing Building (CKNB), unless otherwise noted.
- We recommend that you arrive on campus 30 minutes before the start of the session, to allow sufficient time for parking and arrival at the session location.
- Campus Map
- Parking info for campus visitors
Helpful Nursing and Advising Websites
Please visit the following websites for information and updates regarding the nursing program:
- School of Nursing website
- Nursing Admission Requirements webpage
- Nursing Info Toolbox webpage
- CBHS Advising Center website
Pre-nursing is a pre-requisite program only and doesn’t lead to a degree, so you’ll have a primary major from the list below while also working on completing pre-nursing requirements; your advisor in your primary major will also advise you in regard to pre-nursing requirements. You will need to select a College of Behavioral & Health Sciences major from the list below:
How to change to the chosen primary major
New to MTSU: When you apply for admission to MTSU, you'll select pre-nursing as your major. However, we'll ask you to choose a primary major from the list above when you attend your Customs new student orientation session in the weeks before your first semester at MTSU. (Watch your MTSU email account for an email from us shortly before Customs!) After your Customs session, we'll update your record to show the primary major instead of pre-nursing.
Current MTSU student in another major: After attending a nursing info session and reviewing the above info, please schedule an appointment with an advisor in your chosen primary major (from the above list). During your advising appointment, your new advisor will submit a form to change your major.
I'm interested in the nursing program. Where should I start?
You'll start by attending one of our nursing information sessions. carefully, please contact us and let us know how we can help!; this includes prospective students, current MTSU students in other majors, and previous pre-nursing majors who have been out of school for one or more semesters. If you have additional questions after attending an info session and reviewing the info on this webpage
I'm currently majoring in an area other than those listed above. Can I stay in my current MTSU major?
We strongly recommend that you select a primary major from the above list. If you choose to stay in your current major, your non-CBHS advisor won’t know the nursing requirements and other important details. Additionally, the above majors were selected in part because they work well with the nursing pre-requisites. If you stay in your current major, you may need to take courses for nursing which don't count toward that major, are difficult to work into your program of study, and create various academic, financial aid, or other issues.
Where can I find more info about MTSU?
Still have questions after attending a nursing information session and reviewing the info and websites listed above? Please email us and provide the following info:
- The date of the nursing info session you attended
- Your name and contact info
- Your MTSU ID number, if you have applied for admission to MTSU
- When you plan to enroll at MTSU
- When you plan to apply to the School of Nursing
- Your questions
For best results, contact us via your MTSU email address if you have applied for admission to MTSU. Otherwise, we can only provide general information due to federal FERPA privacy laws.