Graduate Certificate in Data Science
Upskilling for the future data world
Data science continues to be in high demand and the skills for data practitioners are needed in every industry. The Graduate Certificate in Data Science at MTSU allows everyone the opportunity to learn the data skills needed to compete in the current and future marketplace.
Who is this intended for?
Anyone that already completed a bachelor's degree and believe that adding the necessary data skills will enhance their current situation. Data Science is for everyone and this Graduate Certificate allows any working or aspiring professional the opportunity to get started.
The only prerequisite is a bachelor’s degree. We encourage individuals from every industry and skill levels to be a part of this program.
What will you learn?
First and foremost, you will learn how to solve problems using data. In order to solve problems, you need to understand the data that is available, explore and clean the data, then visualize the data to create and optimize predictive models. Therefore, the skills that you will learn include:
- A business-driven approach to problem solving with data.
- The foundational statistical knowledge needed to understand and manipulate data.
- Programming skills to clean, transform, explore, visualize, and build models with
data using Python and its relevant libraries.
- Necessary skills to tune and optimize models for production, so that you not use data, but you make it actionable.
What you earn
- A graduate certificate with relevant skills that can be used in any field from day
- You will have earned credit for four graduate courses at MTSU. (Although it cannot
be guaranteed, these courses may be used for other future graduate degrees that you
- Relevant content and experiences that enhance your current problem solving abilities.
- A glimpse into what the future of business will be with the continued focus on AI and machine learning within industry.
What are the details and format of the classes?
The Graduate Certificate in Data Science includes four 7-week classes:
- DATA 6300 Data Understanding
- Applications used to understand the problem-solving process for data science. Data
collection and cleansing techniques are used to visualize and summarize the data to
prepare the data for modeling for various data types through statistical analysis
with Python programming.
- DATA 6310 Data Exploration
- Data Science techniques to explore numerical and text data. Unsupervised learning
and NLP applications will be used to explore data to understand its impact and use
to make data-driven decisions.
- DATA 6320 Predictive Modeling
- Develop models to predict outcomes through the use of supervised learning techniques.
Applications in regression and classification modeling support decisions and analysis.
- DATA 6330 Model Optimization and Deployment
- The optimization and deployment of machine learning models. Techniques through internal and cloud infrastructures to identify optimal deployment of models to operationalize into production.
The format of each course is the following:
- All content will be online through interactive content, such as:
- Case-based scenarios for understanding the business problem before diving into the
- Video content to learn the foundational statistics needed for making data-driven decisions.
- Step-by-step Python programming videos to learn how to conduct the necessary steps
to clean, transform, explore, visualize, and build predictive models.
- At the end of each 7-week course, students will get together on one Saturday to be
part of a Data Dive (a data hackathon) where through a collaborative environment you
will work with real data to solve real problems.
What is the expected schedule (start to finish in 8 months) and cost?
- The expected schedule for the first cohort
- DATA 6300 (August 24, 2020 to October 9, 2020)
- DATA 6310 (October 14, 2020 to December 10, 2020)
- DATA 6320 (January 19, 2021 to March 5, 2021)
- DATA 6330 (March 15, 2021 to May 6, 2021)
- Expected Cost (Based on 2019-2020 – may change for 2020-2021 with a cap of 2%)
- Cost is based on the university tuition fees for graduate
- Cost per graduate class is $1725
- Cost for the graduate certificate (4 classes) is $6,900
- For more info visit https://www.mtsu.edu/tuition/
For more information on all of our programs, please visit mtsu.edu/datascience