Case Categories: Students' Rights
- Bell v. Itawamba County School Board (5th Cir.) (2015)
In Bell v. Itawamba County School Board (2012), the 5th Circuit ruled that Mississippi school officials did not violate the First Amendment when they punished a...
- Bethel School District No. 403 v. Fraser (1986)
In Bethel School District No. 403 v. Fraser (1986), the Supreme Court said public school officials can prohibit student speech that is vulgar, lewd, or plainly...
- Beussink v. Woodland School District (E.D. Mo.) (1998)
In Beussink v. Woodland School District (1998), a federal judge said a school district could not discipline a high school student for maintaining a website...
- Burnside v. Byars (5th Cir.) (1966)
In Burnside v. Byars (5th Cir. 1966), a federal appeals court protected students’ First Amendment rights on school grounds. The decision served as a key...
- Canady v. Bozzier Parish School Board (5th Cir.) (2001)
Can schools require students to wear a school uniform? Does it violate students' First Amendment speech rights? The Fifth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in...
- Chandler v. McMinnville School District (9th Cir.) (1992)
The 9th Circuit Court in 1992 decided that restrictions on student speech should be evaluated in one of three categories to determine constitutionality. The...
- Dariano v. Morgan Hills Unified School District (9th Cir.) (2014)
In Dariano v. Morgan Hills Unified School District (2014), the 9th Circuit ruled that a public school did not violate the First Amendment when it required...
- Dean v. Utica Community Schools (E.D. Mich.) (2004)
In Dean v. Utica Community Schools (2004), a federal district judge rejected censorship of a Michign high school’s student newspaper. Judge Tarnow ruled that...
- Harper v. Poway Unified School District (9th Cir.) (2006)
- Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier (1988)
- Healy v. James (1972)
- Hosty v. Carter (7th Cir.) (2005)
- Keefe v. Adams (8th Cir.) (2016)
- Lavine v. Blaine School District (9th Cir.) (2001)
- Melton v. Young (6th Cir.) (1972)
- Morse v. Frederick (2007)
- Norton v. Discipline Committee of East Tennessee State University (1970)
- Nurre v. Whitehead (2010)
- Olff v. East Side Union High School District (1972)
- Papish v. Board of Curators of the University of Missouri (1973)
- Rosenberger v. Rectors and Visitors of the University of Virginia (1995)
- Settle v. Dickson County School Board (6th Cir.) (1995)
- Taylor v. Roswell Independent School District (10th Cir.) (2013)
- Thomas v. Board of Education, Granville (2d Cir.) (1979)
- Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District (1969)
- West v. Derby Unified School District (10th Cir.) (2000)