Case Categories: Compelled Speech
- Abood v. Detroit Board of Education (1977)
In Abood v. Detroit Board of Education (1977), the Supreme Court ruled unanimously that although nonunion government employees represented by a union could be...
- Glickman v. Wileman Brothers and Elliott, Inc. (1997)
In Glickman v. Wileman Brothers and Elliott, Inc., the Court held that requiring farmers to contribute to the cost of generic advertising did not abridge their...
- Harris v. Quinn (2014)
in Harris v. Quinn, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to extend the precedent in Abood v. Detroit Board of Education and require personal care workers in Illinois...
- Janus v. American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, Council 31 (2018)
The Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that that an Illinois law allowing government employee unions to collect fees from non-members violates the First Amendment....
- Johanns v. Livestock Marketing Association (2005)
- Keller v. State Bar of California (1990)
- Knox v. Service Employees International Union (2012)
- Lehnert v. Ferris Faculty Association (1991)
- Locke v. Karass (2009)
- Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission (2018)
The Supreme Court said the First Amendment protects the religious rights of a Colorado cakeshop owner who refused to design a wedding cake for a same-sex couple...
- National Institute of Family and Life Advocates v. Becerra (2018)
The Supreme Court ruled in 2018 that licensed crisis pregnancy centers in California could not be forced by the state to tell patients about abortion services....
- Rumsfeld v. Forum for Academic and Institutional Rights (2006)
- United States v. United Foods, Inc. (2001)
- Wooley v. Maynard (1977)