Case Categories: Public Forum
- American Freedom Defense Initiative v. King County (2016)
The U.S. Supreme Court denied certiorari in American Freedom Defense Initiative v. King County (2016). The case arose in Seattle and involved advertising on the...
- Christian Legal Society v. Martinez (2010)
In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court in 2010 upheld a University of California’s decision to not allow a Christian Legal Society chapter to receive benefits....
- City of Madison v. Wisconsin Employment Relations Commission (1976)
The Supreme Court in 1976 ruled that government cannot open a public forum for direct citizen involvement and exclude some citizens from speaking. In City of...
- Cornelius v. NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund (1985)
Reasoning that the federal workplace is not a public forum, the Supreme Court upheld a law excluding political advocacy groups from an employee contribution...
- Frisby v. Schultz (1988)
The Supreme Court ruled in a case involving anti-abortion protests centered on a doctor's private home in Frisby v. Schultz (1988). The Court upheld a Wisconsin...
- Hague v. Committee for Industrial Organization (1939)
Hague v. Committee for Industrial Organization set the precedent for the public forum doctrine and showed that banning a group of citizens from holding...
- Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier (1988)
In Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier, the Supreme Court held that schools may restrict what is published in student newspapers if the papers have not been...
- Lee v. International Society for Krishna Consciousness (1992)
- McCullen v. Coakley (2014)
- Nurre v. Whitehead (2010)
- Perry Education Association v. Perry Local Educators' Association (1983)
- Rosenberger v. Rectors and Visitors of the University of Virginia (1995)
- Southeastern Promotions, Ltd. v. Conrad (1975)
- United States v. Grace (1983)
- United States v. Kokinda (1990)
- Widmar v. Vincent (1981)