Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville
SIUE conducted a 1 for All PR campaign titled #Appreciate The 1st.
- 1 for All’s goal is to remind Americans that the rights of the First Amendment give us freedoms to express ourselves and exchange creative ideas freely.
- The initiative focuses on all five freedoms, believing that they are all interdependent and deserve the full support of Americans.
- SIUE campus = prime location for reaching target audience, especially for on-campus interaction and events (the Quad, the Goshen Lounge, Dunham Hall, etc.)
- Typically, many have different levels of understanding of the 1st Amendment in terms of what involves and how it affects them, which could make it difficult to create a cohesive message that resonates with everyone.
- Opportunity for a fresh campaign since nothing exactly like this has been done on the SIUE campus before.
- Negative perceptions of the 1st Amendment pose a threat for achieving the goal of the campaign itself.
- Our campaign’s goal is to build an understanding and respect for the freedoms guaranteed in the First Amendment on the SIUE campus.
- SIUE students ages 18-21 who are seeking an undergraduate degree. This target audience includes international and non-traditional students.
Monday, April 6: First Amendment Free Food Festival
Wednesday, April 8: Free Speech Professional Panel
Friday, April 10: Free Flick Friday
Utilize Mass Comm Facebook Page
Social Media Contest among Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Encouraging students
and clubs to participate using #AppreciateThe1st
Design promotion materials for free giveaways at the events
After the governor proclaimed a stay-home warning due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the campaign team transformed the plan to work in an online setting.