National Women's History Month
Mission Statement: MTSU's National Women's History Month programming recognizes, promotes, and celebrates women's contributions and causes by providing education and entertainment from a feminist perspective that emphasizes cultural transformation to achieve social justice and women's empowerment.
The National Women's History Month Committee coordinates programming each academic year, including an opening ceremony, keynote speaker, and featured presentations
Events are held throughout the year and announced through the NWHM calendar and flyers posted on campus, though the majority are held in March and announced via our annual NWHM Calendar. To receive a copy of the calendar, contact the June Anderson Center office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 615-898-5812.
The 2022 theme “Women Providing Healing, Promoting Hope” is not just a tribute to the ceaseless work of caregivers during this ongoing pandemic, but also a recognition of the thousands of ways women have provided both healing and hope throughout history.
Submit a Funding Co-Sponsorship Proposal
In addition to programming the Committee organizes, we welcome proposals for co-sponsored NWHM events or requests to add events to our Calendar. To submit a proposal, please complete a NWHM Proposal Form (see below). Proposals are evaluated in the order received, based upon their adherence to the NWHM mission statement (above), their contribution to the diversity of programming, and the availability of funds. The Committee meets several times during each Fall semester to review proposals. Specific meeting dates will be announced annually via email to all faculty, staff, and administration.
2022 NWHM Proposal Form will be available Fall 2021. Please check back!
Button Design Competition
The 2022 National Women's History Month Button design is in your hands! We want the students of MTSU to design this year's button:
- As a student group, please submit a design of a historical woman who you believe fits the above theme "Women Providing Healing, Promoting Hope". Your design will need to fit a 2.25" round button.
- All designs need to be appropriate (language and pictures) to be considered. Any designs that the committee deems inappropriate will be disqualified.
- Your design must be accompanied by a short biography of the woman you depicted for your button design. We will be using this in the button marketing.
- Your design must be accompanied by all team members who designed the button and the name of your Student Organization.
- The National Women's History Month Committee will select 2-3 designs they feel best embody this year's healing and hope theme. They will purchase the buttons and the button marketing that goes along with your design. Each member of your team and your Student Organization will be named on the marketing materials. Additionally, each member of your team will receive a button, the marketing materials, and be invited to our National Women's History Month Opening Ceremony (date and time TBA, March 2022).
- All questions and submissions should be directed to The June Anderson Center for Women and Nontraditional Students at email@example.com no later than 4:30pm on November 30th, 2021. Winners will be contacted after the committee has met and has decided on the designs.
Committee Chair and NWHM Coordinator
June Anderson Center for Women & Nontraditional Students
Dr. Vicky MacLean
Director of Women's Studies