Offering Credit for Writing Center Attendance
- Please do not require attendance as a part of a course or assignment grade. Appointments on our schedule are limited, especially near midterms and finals week, and we cannot guarantee that we can accommodate required visits.
Getting Proof of Attendance from the Writing Center
Writing Center consultants cannot provide signatures or any other proof of attendance for Writing Center sessions. All writers (who have made an appointment on our schedule) receive a summary of their session by email following their session. The session report can be printed or forwarded to you.
If you have a question about a session report, please email the following information to Keri Carter or Dr. Jim Hamby along with your question:
- The student's full name
- The date and time of the session
Ideas for Assigning Extra Credit for Writing Center Visits
- Ask students to write and submit a writing or revision plan based on what they learned/discussed during the UWC session.
- Ask students to use the Writing Center's website to find a resource that might help them revise all or part of their project. Students can write a brief reflection on what revisions they made to their work based on what they found online.
- Offer credit based on students' reflections on the learning experience rather than solely for attendance (see the sample statement below).
Sample Assignment Sheet Statement: