Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about MTSU’s Accounting Programs:

Questions Regarding the Accounting Profession:

 How can I determine the name of my advisor?

Students majoring in accounting are assigned an accounting faculty member as an advisor. You can determine the name of your advisor by checking your Pipeline account or by contacting Jake Morris at (615) 898-5306.

 If I have additional questions about MTSU’s accounting programs, how can I get more information?

For additional information about undergraduate programs, contact Jake Morris at (615) 898-5306. For information about graduate accounting programs, contact Dr. Audrey Scarlata at (615) 898-2625.

 When is the accounting lab open?

The accounting lab (BAS N428) is available 9:00 AM - 4:30 PM Monday - Thursday.  For current tutoring hours, go to Student Information.

 Is it important to become professionally certified?

Becoming professionally certified often has many benefits, including better advancement opportunities, greater compensation, better career mobility, and enhanced reputation or stature within the profession.

 What types of professional certifications exist?

Many different professional certifications exist. Some of the most popular certifications include CPA (Certified Public Accountant), CMA (Certified Management Accountant), CIA (Certified Internal Auditor), CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner), and CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor). For more information about these certifications, click on the following links:

 What are the requirements to become a CPA?

The requirements for becoming a CPA vary by state and students should check with the State Board of Accountancy in the state they intend to become certified to determine the applicable requirements. The NASBA (The National Association of State Boards of Accountancy) web site includes contact information for most other State Boards of Accountancy (click on “links” once the NASBA web page loads). There is also a recently published in-depth resource on CPA requirements by state.

 Am I required to obtain a Master’s degree to become a CPA in Tennessee?

No. Like many other states, Tennessee requires 150 semester hours from an accredited college or university to get your license. This need not include a Master’s degree. However, with careful planning, it is often possible and desirable for students to obtain their masters degree while accumulating the required 150 semester hours of coursework.  

 Where do I apply to take the CPA exam?

Information and an application to take the CPA examination may be obtained by calling 1-800-CPA-EXAM/1-800-272-3926 or by logging onto