Frequently Asked Questions

Employment   |  Payroll Services  |  Sick Leave Bank  |  Payroll Forms Processing   |  Benefits Administration


Do I have to complete an application? 
Everyone who applies for a position at Middle Tennessee State University is required to create an application.  All required information is denoted with an asterisk.  However, the more information you provide, the easier it will be to effectively evaluate your skills, abilities, and qualifications. 

Do you accept paper applications?
No, all employment applications must be submitted electronically through the employment website:

Do I have to take a test? Where?
Some classified positions require testing. Review the position job posting for required tests. Testing is free to the applicant and is completed through Wood Personnel.  Please click here or call Wood Personnel at 615-890-8400 to register to complete the testing online.  The link will also be provided via email once your application is submitted.

Can I retest? How often?
Yes, testing can be retaken once each day until the filing deadline.  Contact Wood Personnel to have testing resent to you.  The highest test scores are retained.

How will my background check be conducted?
Middle Tennessee State University contracts with TrueScreen to conduct pre-employment background checks.  If you are applying for an administrative or classified position, the background check process is conducted entirely online using TrueScreen's secure website.  Once you have confirmed your identity and provided the requested information, TrueScreen will conduct your background check and report the results to Middle Tennessee State University.

Is there a limit to the number of positions I can apply for?
No, there is not a limit to the number of positions to which you can apply.

How long will a posting be listed on the web?
For faculty positions, postings will remain listed until the position is filled.  For optimal consideration, apply for faculty positions prior to the Application Review Date.  Administrative and Classified positions will be open until the Job Closing Date.  If a posting is viewable on the online system, you may apply to it.

Will late applications be accepted?
Middle Tennessee State University does not collect applications outside the online application system.  If the posting is available on the website for applications, then you may apply.  If the Application Review Date has passed, then your application may not be reviewed.

How can I apply for positions that were previously posted?
If the position is not listed on the website, you will not be able to apply for it.

What if I lose/forget my user name and/or password?
If you forget your password, click on the “Forgot your password?” link on the Login page. You will be asked to enter the email used to create your account and click on “OK”. The system will send you a link to reset your password.

How do I know what positions I can apply for?
You may apply for any position listed online. Please note the required qualifications for each position posted.

What information will I need when applying for a position?
You will be asked to complete an application based on the type of position for which you are applying. Applicants for faculty positions will be asked to provide personal information, reference information, authorization to work in the U.S., update voluntary forms, attach requested documents and respond to supplemental questions related to your status as a sexual offender. Applicants for administrative/classified positions will be asked to provide personal information, education history, work history, reference information, authorization to work in the U.S., attach requested documents, update voluntary forms and respond to supplemental questions related to your status as a sexual offender.

Can I save an application in the middle of creating it and come back later?
Yes, when you are applying for a specific posting, you may save and return later by clicking “Save and Exit”. Please remember that unless you complete the application process by the Job Closing Date, your application will not be considered.

How do I edit my application before submitting?
Log into with your email and password. Then, click on “Complete Application” to locate the specific posting. If a posting is closed, you will not be able to edit your application. We recommend that you view the application first to see what edits need to be made. When in edit mode, click "Continue" and move through all the screens (even if you don’t need to edit a screen) until you get to the end. Be sure to click "Submit Application" at the end.

How long does my application remain active in the system?
The majority of you information will remain in the system.  To be considered for a position you must apply for each posting.

Will I be asked to attach a resume, cover letter or other information?
Each posting will have unique document requirements. PDF documents are recommended, however, Microsoft Word documents are also accepted.

Will I be asked to attach reference information?
Yes.   All postings require three (3) references. You will be asked to provide name, email address, telephone number and relationship. Each reference that you provide will receive an invitation to submit a recommendation letter.  Applicants will enter the email address and name of the reference contact. The application system will not only generate an invitation to the contact, but also allow for the contact to upload a recommendation letter.

How do I attach a document?
If the position you are applying for accepts resumes or other documents, you will have the opportunity to attach documents after you have clicked the “Apply Now” button for the position for which you wish to apply. After clicking the button and completing the Application Information, "Document Upload" will appear. The online employment site accepts documents in Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format.

Can I attach a different resume for each position I apply to?
Yes, if the position you are applying to requires a resume, you will be able to choose which documents to attach when you are in the “Document Upload” section of the application. If you have previously applied to a posting at Middle Tennessee State University and have used our system to upload documents, the system will give you the option to upload your most recent resume. However, if you wish to upload a new document, you can name and choose a file from your computer to submit.

Can I edit my application after I have already applied?
No, once you have submitted your application, no chages other than the reference information can be made. Be sure to carefully review your application materials before submitting.

How do I verify my application materials were received or check the status of my application?
Log into with your email address and password. Your account will display a list of all your applications that need to be completed or have been completed. Here you can view the posting and the status of your application. Once you have successfully submitted your application, you will be sent an email confirming that you have applied.

When will I know if I am selected for an interview?
The hiring department will generally contact you by phone or email to request an interview. If your contact information has changed, please email the MTSU Employment Office at You can login at to check the status of your application and view the posting.

Payroll Services

When do student employees get paid?
Student employees are paid on the last work day each month.

Where do I pick up my check or direct deposit slip?
If you currently have direct deposit your notification will be sent to your email address. Your notification will be accessible only from a link within the email address to you, and will be protected for viewing by a password. You will receive instructions in your E-mail notification each pay period. If you do not have an email account your direct deposit notification will continue to be sent to your department for distribution.

Student or hourly/part-time employees that do not have direct deposit will pick their check up from the Business Office windows in the Student Services & Admissions Center, Room 290.

When is my direct deposit put into my account?
The direct deposit will be in your account on payday. Check with your bank regarding their policy.

How do I sign up for direct deposit? 
There are a few ways to sign up for direct deposit.

  • Go to your pipeline account and sign up by clicking on the Employee Tab and then click on Pay Information, Direct Deposit Allocation, and "Update Direct Deposit Allocation".
  • Visit the Human Resource Services website and click on the Direct Deposit pdf link. Type your information on the form, print it, and bring it to the Human Resource Services office in the Sam H. Ingram Building - Room 204.
  • Visit the Human Resource Services office (Sam H. Ingram Building - Room 204) and ask for a paper Direct Deposit form, complete all necessary information, and leave it in our office.

How much tax will be withheld out of my paycheck?
The tax rate for FICA is 6.2% up to the FICA wage base and the Medicare tax rate is 1.45%. Federal withholding taxes are based on the IRS tax tables, the individual's W-4, and earnings. Extra compensation and summer school are taxed at the supplemental tax rate for federal income tax.

I'm a student, why are no taxes being taken out of my check? 
Students who are enrolled in six (6) or more undergraduate credit hours or five (5) or more graduate credit hours qualify for exemption from FICA tax. Federal income tax is based on exemptions claimed and whether you chose "single" or "married" status on your W-4.

Why didn't I get my W-2?
You must change your address with Human Resource Services before the 15th of January for your W-2 for the past year to be printed with the correct address. Also, W-2's are not forwarded, they are returned to HRS if the address is incorrect.

How do I get another W-2 if I lost mine or didn't get it because I moved?
Contact Human Resource Services: Email or call (615) 898-2929.

Sick Leave Bank

I am going to be out on sick leave for an extended time and do not have enough leave to cover it. How do I get time from the Sick Leave Bank?
If you have been a member of the Sick Leave Bank for at least 30 days, and have documentation of continuing disability, and have used all sick, annual and banked comp time available to you, you are eligible to apply to the Sick Leave Bank. Applications may be picked up in the Human Resource Services Office or downloaded from the HRS Forms web site. You will need to return the completed application, a physician's statement (on his letterhead), and a brief statement about your leave usage, to either Susan or Lisa. Your request will be presented to the respective Trustees and you will be notified of their decision. For additional information, please call the HRS Office at 615-898-2929.

How may I donate sick leave to another employee that does not have enough leave to pay them until they return to work?
If you are willing to donate a minimum of five (5) days and currently have a minimum of twenty (20) days you may donate leave to an employee in need. However the recipient must be a member of the Sick Leave Bank. They should have had all requests considered by the Trustees and have proper documentation of continuing disability. If these criteria have been met, you may apply for Transfer of Leave. The applications may be picked up in the Human Resource Services Office or downloaded from the HRS Forms web site. Once approved by the Human Resource Officer, your leave will be assessed and added to the recipient's leave.

How can I become a member of the Sick Leave Bank?
The bank is open to any benefited full-time and regular part-time employees. You will be asked to donate the equivalent of two (2) non-refundable days from your personal accumulated sick leave to the Sick Leave Bank. Open enrollment to join the Faculty and Non-Faculty Sick Leave Banks is held during the month of October each year. This is the only opportunity to join the Sick Leave Bank.

What if the Sick Leave Bank runs out of sick leave to donate?
In the event that the Sick Leave Bank reaches a critically low level, the members would be asked donate additional hours from their personal sick leave.

Who approves sick leave request from the Sick Leave Bank?
The Bank is administered by five (5) trustees appointed by the president of MTSU. The Trustees meet each month and consider all applications for sick leave.

Payroll Forms Processing

What does an international student have to have in order to work on campus?
Before a department can hire an international student, the student must have a work authorization letter from the International Student Services Office. If the student has this letter, the paperwork to hire them is the same as any other student.

I have a student worker who would like to work for us over the summer. This student will not be taking classes this summer. Do I hire them as a student or as an hourly?
If you are reasonably sure that they will be returning in the fall to take classes, then set them up as a student for the summer.

Is there a limit to the number of hours a student can work?
The number of hours a student works each week is determined by the department. Students will be paid time and a half for hours worked over 40 during a work week.

When I am hiring a student and/or hourly, how can I tell if I need to have them fill out an I-9? 
Complete a Hiring Verification in Workflow which will check the status of the I-9 as well as other documents needed for employment.  For questions regarding Workflow, please contact Human Resources for training.

What type of payroll form is used to pay employees?
Refer to the Form Completion Instructions for the type of payroll forms needed to pay and/or terminate an employee.

Who signs the payroll forms?
The Form Completion Instructions includes who must sign the various payroll forms.

Benefits - For questions related to Employee Benefits (health, dental, vision, etc.) please visit the designated State of Tennessee web page.

If I leave MTSU, when will my insurance terminate?
Your insurance coverage will terminate the end of the month following your final regular paycheck.

If I am hurt on the job, what should I do?
Notify your supervisor immediately. If your supervisor is not available, contact a departmental supervisor. Follow the workman’s compensation claims instructions located on the HRS web page.

Human Resource Services 

Middle Tennessee State University 
2269 Middle Tennessee Boulevard 
204 Sam H. Ingram Building 
Murfreesboro, TN  37132-0001