EXL Award Information
Experiential Learning Scholars Program (EXL) Awards
Each year the Experiential Learning (EXL) Program at Middle Tennessee State University recognizes excellence in four different categories – Outstanding Student, Faculty, Administrator, and Community Partner Awards. EXL award recipients must hold distinguished records of service/activity in the EXL Program. These awards will be formally announced each spring semester. Faculty and Student Nominees will then be notified and asked to submit supporting documentation. Self-nominations are acceptable.
Award recipients are eligible to receive an award in multiple categories, but are eligible for awards made in the same category only every five years.
Nominations for AY 2022 - 2023 are due on February 27, 2023
EXL Award Nomination Form [Word] or [pdf]
Outstanding EXL Faculty Award
Each year the EXL Program recognizes educators who provide leadership and excellence in the field of experiential learning. Recipients of the Outstanding EXL Faculty Award are selected by the MTSU EXL Scholars Committee based on nominations received. This award includes $1,000 in funding for professional development and/or materials and equipment that can be used for instructional enhancement. Items must be approved and adhere to university guidelines for purchasing.
Faculty Award Considerations
The Outstanding EXL Faculty Member Award is given annually to a faculty member who holds a distinguished record of service in the EXL Scholars Program.
The following criteria are used by the MTSU EXL Scholars Committee to select the faculty recipients of the Outstanding EXL Faculty Award:
- Teaching philosophy regarding the value of experiential learning
- Pioneering EXL course development/instruction in the department
- Developing original EXL course materials
- The number of courses/students taught as EXL
- The use of several experiential learning instructional methods
- The number of semesters teaching EXL courses
- Impact of EXL projects/activities in the community
- Research or surveys in the field of experiential learning
- Presentations given or training conducted on experiential learning
- Must be teaching at least one EXL class during the year of nomination
- Has not received this award in the past five years
Nominees will be asked to send the following support documents:
- A cover letter explaining your work with experiential learning, addressing the selection criteria listed above.
- Examples of instructional materials to support this nomination
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
Outstanding EXL Student Award
The Outstanding EXL Student Award is given annually to a student who holds a distinguished record of service in the EXL Scholars Program. The Outstanding EXL Student award includes a stipend of $500. Recipients of the Outstanding EXL Student Award are selected by the MTSU EXL Scholars Committee based on nominations received.
Nominees will be asked to provide the following supporting documents:
- List of EXL courses completed and those currently in progress
- A reflective essay explaining the value of experiential/service learning including demonstrated vision and leadership in EXL projects/activities on the community (1-2 pages double-spaced)
- Two samples of completed coursework from Experiential Learning Projects (papers, presentations, research, etc.) to support this nomination
Outstanding EXL Administrator Award
The Outstanding EXL Administrator Award recognizes campus administrators who provide support, leadership and excellence in the field of experiential learning. Recipients of the Outstanding EXL Administrator Award are selected by the MTSU EXL Scholars Committee based on nominations received.
Outstanding EXL Community Partner Award
The Outstanding EXL Community Partner Award recognizes community partners who provide opportunities, leadership and excellence in the field of experiential learning. Recipients of the Outstanding EXL Community Partner Award are selected by the MTSU EXL Scholars Committee based on nominations received.