Trumpet Life in the Studio
Every week at MTSU, you’ll take lessons with world-class trumpet players, participate in small and large trumpet ensembles, and learn along side over 20 other graduate and undergraduate students. Outside of just Trumpet Studio activities, other ensembles our members are involved in include: Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, MTSU Jazz Bands, Commercial Music Ensembles, The Band of Blue Marching Band, and various outside projects.
As a member of the MTSU Trumpet Studio, you’ll participate in the following activities:
- Each week, the MTSU Trumpet Ensemble meets to practice. For one hour, the studio comes together and rehearses their pieces. Group size can be anywhere from a full, 20+ person ensemble, to smaller 4-6 piece chamber groups. Music played in these groups range from older pieces from early days of trumpet ensembles to newer, contemporary selections.
- Each week, you will also take lessons with a member of the Trumpet Studio faculty. While some of the studio will take lessons with Dr. Arndt, others will have lesson time with Mr. Preston Bailey and Dr. Michael Ellzey. Head to our Faculty page to learn more about these fantastic trumpet players!
- Lastly, each week you will attend Studio Class. For an hour and a half, everyone in the studio will get together to expand their knowledge as players. From solo playing to “History of the Trumpet,” there is something to learn each week. It is also a great chance to meet and hang out with other members of the studio!
When it comes to the programs players participate in on a weekly basis, the MTSU School of Music offers something for everyone!
- Love classical music and want to further your musical resume? The MTSU Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble are great options for you! The groups meet twice a week and play a vast catalog of music, from wind band classics to new contemporary pieces. There is something for everyone! Both ensembles are available to any MTSU student by audition.
- Want to participate in something a little smaller and play with strings? Try auditioning for the MTSU Symphony Orchestra! This group also meets twice a week and performs standards of orchestral literature. The program is open to any MTSU student by audition.
- Looking for something to improve your improvisation and become a better jazz player? The MTSU Jazz Ensembles are calling for you. Through the two jazz ensembles, you will learn more about the big band style, along with playing with special guests that include the likes of Phil Woods, Arturo Sandoval, and Bobby Shew! These groups are available to any MTSU student by audition.
- Finally, do you just wanna play popular music and get a feeling for what it is like to play with a group in a recording setting? Then come audition for the MTSU Commercial Music Ensemble! This group selects music they want to play, arranges it for the setting they have, practices and performs those selections. It is also a place for those interested in composition/arranging, as the group also performs original music! This group is available to any MTSU student by audition.
- Love the feeling of playing for hundreds and want to have some fun on Gameday? The MTSU Band of Blue is perfect for you! This group meets three times a week to rehearse and the group contains around 30 trumpets on average. The BoB is all about entertaining the crowd and showing their True Blue pride! Membership is open to any university student who can display good marching techniques and a fundamental proficiency on an instrument used in the marching band.
Students in the Trumpet Studio have had a lot of success outside of the classroom, as well!
- Trumpet players have performed with the Nashville Symphony, the Huntsville Symphony, and various other symphonic ensembles across the American southeast!
- Our alumni have also gone on to do great things. From working with symphonies such as the Fort Worth Symphony to playing with the United States Marine Band, being a member of the Studio while you’re in college sets you up for great things afterwards!
Not sure what to major in?
- Members of the Trumpet Studio often major in one of four programs: Instrumental Music Education, Instrumental Performance, Music Industry, and Theory-Composition.
- You can also choose to minor in music if you’d like! MTSU offers a general Music minor, as well as a Music Industry minor.