Welcome to the University Police Department
The University Police Department at Middle Tennessee State University is a fully functioning law enforcement agency that is open and operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in order to provide police services to the MTSU campus. MTSU Police Officers are certified by the State of Tennessee as authorized police officers with full police powers including the authority to respond to criminal complaints and emergencies, investigate crimes, and effect arrests. The Police Department is part of the University’s Division of Business and Finance and reports directly to the Senior Vice President of the University.
University Police has the overall responsibility of helping to maintain the safety and security of the MTSU community; the Police Department is dedicated to creating and preserving a campus which is a safe place to learn and work. In addition, the University Police provide several related support functions as a general service to various departments within the university. These functions include:
- The overall responsibility for promoting the safety and security of persons, buildings, and property on or about the campus of MTSU, including the patrol of the campus grounds on a twenty-four (24) hour a day basis to prevent and control crime.
- The investigation of crimes, the apprehension of criminal offenders, and the recovery of stolen property.
- The preservation of the peace and maintenance of good order.
- Traffic enforcement and the issuance of citations for traffic violations.
- The prime generator of reports, records, and state/federal mandated annual statistics concerning all crimes committed on university property or properties controlled by the University, including reports of missing persons, missing public and private property, accidents, and certain incidents of alleged violations of university regulations.
- The support of special events and activities through the control of employment of contract security personnel, traffic, informational assistance, and the maintenance of an orderly atmosphere.
- The coordination of efforts in areas of common responsibility and concern with other area law enforcement agencies, in order to insure representation of the University's interests.
The University Police Department is an independent law enforcement agency recognized as such by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the State of Tennessee. The department currently consists of 36 commissioned police officers, 6 full-time dispatchers, approximately 20 part-time student workers, plus full-time administrative staff. University Police operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and is located at 1412 E. Main Street, Murfreesboro, TN, 37132.