292 Calendar Conversion
Approved by President
Effective Date: June 5, 2017
Responsible Division: Academic Affairs
Responsible Office: Records and Scheduling
Responsible Officer: Registrar
This policy establishes the calendar conversion for Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU or University), articulating the definition of semester hour of credit and identifying the elements of instructional time related to semester hour(s) of credit, calendar criteria to meet instructional time as defined, and the mode of conversion from a quarter to a semester hour of credit.
II. Calendar Conversion
A. The following provisions shall apply to the MTSU academic calendar:
1. Specify a minimum of seven hundred fifty (750) minutes of classroom instruction per semester hour of credit (excluding final examinations and registration).
2. Specify that Fall and Spring semesters must each span a minimum of sixteen (16) calendar weeks, including a regular registration period (of no more than three  days) and a final exam period.
3. Specify the general intention that Fall and Spring semesters, providing MTSU has the usual fifty (50)-minute class periods, will normally be characterized by a minimum of fifteen (15) calendar weeks of classroom instruction.
4. Specify that the Fall semester will end before the holiday break.
5. Specify that the last day of final examinations for the Summer session will be no later than August 15, and the first day of regular registration for the Fall term will be no earlier than August 20.
6. Specify that all classes (including Summer school, intersessions, and special compressed terms) must meet the provisions of seven hundred fifty (750) minutes of classroom instruction per semester hour of credit.
B. The mode for conversion of credit hours from quarter to semester and the mode for determining GPA be dividing the quarter credit hours by 1.5 and carrying decimals two (2) points (i.e., 2.60).