University Council for Sponsored Scholarship (UCSS) at Middle Tennessee State University
The UCSS is dedicated to fostering and enhancing sponsored research and creative activity at MTSU. The council's primary objectives are:
- Advising administrators on research direction and mission.
- Proposing policies and practices to enhance the research environment.
- Reviewing current and forthcoming policies and practices affecting research.
- Strengthening communication amongst faculty researchers, departments, committees, and administration.
- Elevating the university's profile at regional, national, and international levels through the expansion of externally sponsored research, scholarship, and creative activities.
Composition of the UCSS:
Total Members: The UCSS comprises 21 voting members, supplemented by non-voting members from the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) and Faculty Senate.
- Associate Deans for Research or Research Coordinators: Appointed for a 3-year term by respective college Deans to represent their college.
- Faculty Representatives: Ten (10) members, chosen based on the sponsored activity level of their college, serve three-year rotating terms.
- At-Large Faculty Members: Three (3) members appointed by the VPR for two-year terms.
- Faculty Senate Representative: A non-voting member who bridges communication between the UCSS and Faculty Senate.
- ORSP Staff: They serve as non-voting members and consistently update the Council.
Chair & Vice Chair: Elected from the voting members, they serve for 1-year terms, with the Vice Chair automatically assuming the Chair position after the spring semester.
For the 2023-2024 academic year, the Chair is Dr. Ben Sickle, and the Vice Chair is Dr. Racha El Kadiri.
The chair can appoint standing, special committees, subcommittees, or task forces as required to facilitate the UCSS's work. The subcommittees for academic year 23-24 are: Workload Policy, Indirect Distribution and Usage, Extra Comp Policies, ORSP Services, Student Research Support and Research Centers.
|Vice-Chair||Racha El Kadiri||3||8/1/2022-7/31/2025|
|Research Coordinator||Scott McDaniel||3||8/1/2022-7/31/2025|
|Research Coordinator||Kevin Bicker||3||8/1/2022-7/31/2025|
|Research Coordinator||Meredith Dye||3||8/1/2022-7/31/2025|
|Research Coordinator||Murat Arik||3||8/1/2022-7/31/2025|
|Research Coordinator||Ryan "Seth" Jones||3||8/1/2022-7/31/2025|
|Research Coordinator||Sanjay Asthana||3||8/1/2022-7/31/2025|
|Research Coordinator||Karen Nourse||3||8/1/2022-7/31/2025|
|Allocated Member||Tiffany Saul||3||8/1/2022-7/31/2025|
|Allocated Member||Greg Rushton||3||8/1/2022-7/31/2025|
|Allocated Member||Vickie Harden||2||8/1/2022-7/31/2024|
|Allocated Member||Katie Schrodt||2||8/1/2022-7/31/2024|
|Allocated Member||Song Cui||2||8/1/2022-7/31/2024|
|Allocated Member||Misagh Faezipour||3||8/1/2023-7/31/2026|
|Allocated Member||Joshua Phillips||3||8/1/2023-7/31/2026|
|Allocated Member||Dan Smith||3||8/1/2023-7/31/2026|
|Allocated Member||Andrew Polk||3||8/1/2023-7/31/2026|
|VPR At-Large||April Weissmiller||2||8/1/2023-7/31/2025|
|VPR At-Large||Carroll Van West||2||8/1/2022-7/31/2024|
|VPR At-Large||Greg Reish||2||8/1/2022-7/31/2024|