Ways to Earn College Credit

Prior Learning Assessment

laurie Bostelman graduated from MTSU, having used PLA to earn credits.
Portfolio Assessment – PRST 3010 (Prior Learning Assessment)
The Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) course provides a structured process for students to document learning obtained through work, training programs, certifications and licenses and convert it to college credit.

PLA credit can be used in our undergraduate degree programs within the University College as well as select other programs at MTSU. Our degree programs are:
  • Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
  • Bachelor of Science in Integrated Studies

To learn more about this program, call 615-898-5236.

Other Ways to Earn Credit

Military Service Credits
Students who have served in the Reserves, National Guard, or Armed Forces may be eligible for college credit.

  • Submit a DD214. Students not separated from military service may submit their most recent LES statement.
  • Submit a Joint Services Transcript (JST): http://www.jointservicestranscript.com
  • Students who attended the Community College of the Air Force are required to submit an official copy of their CCAF transcript: Community College of the Air Force Transcript 

Students may earn college credit for acceptable scores on the:

  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  • Foreign Language Tests
  • Advanced Placement Examinations (AP) of the College Entrance Examination Board
  • American College Testing Program (ACT)
  • International Baccalaureate Program (IB)
  • DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST)
    Examinations are administered by Testing Services, 107 Keathley University Center. (615-898-2863) 

Credit by Special Examination
Students should contact the Admissions Office for forms, and request approval from the Department Chair.

Complete details of all options may be found in the MTSU Undergraduate catalog.

Find us on Facebook  Find us on Twitter  Find us on LinkedIn

How can we help?

Adult Learning Focused Institution


Register to Vote!