A Short History of Jennings A. Jones College of Business
The middle Tennessee normal school evolved into a four-year teachers college in 1925
with the power to grant the Bachelor of Science degree. In 1943, the Tennessee General
Assembly designated the institution a state college. This new designation represented
a significant departure from the founding purpose and opened new avenues for expanding
and diversifying curricular offerings and degree programs. The institution was advanced
to university status and received its current designation on July1, 1965.
A program in commerce or business has existed here since 1939 when Elwin W. (Wink) Midgett came to Middle Tennessee State Teachers College in January 1939 to "start the business department at the state teachers college in Murfreesboro."; The first courses in business were offered by the division of social sciences in 1939. In 1946, a business department was established. "Wink"; Midgett served as the head of the business department from 1946 to 1964. The first degree in business was awarded in 1947.
In preparation for a university reorganization and name change to become effective on July 1, 1965, the School of Business and Industry was organized in the fall of 1964 as a separate administrative unit. The unit included the following departments:
- Business Administration
- Business Education
- Industrial Arts
- Military Science
In 1965, the name of the business unit was changed to the School of Business and Industry
and Firman L. Cunningham was named Dean. He served until his death in 1973. In 1969,
the first MBA degree was awarded. The name of the business unit was changed in 1970
to the School of Business and Economics.
Finance was added to the economics department in 1968, and the Business and Economic Research Center was established in September, 1970.
In the Spring of 1971, after a reorganization study by a special university committee, all the industry departments were placed in a separate school and the School of Business and Economics was formed from the remaining departments. Those included:
- Department of Accounting and Data Processing
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Business Education and Office Management
- Department of Economics and Finance
- Business and Economic Research Center
Distributive Education (changed to Marketing Education in 1989) was added to the Department
of Business Education and Office Management in 1973. The name was changed to the Department
of Business Communication and Entrepreneurship in the fall of 2006. In the fall of
1975, the Business Administration Department was renamed the Department of Management
and Marketing. In the same year, the Accounting and Data Processing Department was
designated the Department of Accounting and Information Systems. In 1979, all courses
in statistics were transferred from the Department of Management and Marketing to
the Department of Accounting and Information Systems.
The University celebrated its diamond anniversary in 1986 with the theme, "Our Year to Shine."; The theme included reflections of yesterday, celebration of today, and anticipations of tomorrow during a year-long observance. The year 1986 was important in the University's history for another reason. For the first time, an alumnus won the Nobel Prize. Dr. James McGill Buchanan (BA 1940) received the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Science for his development of the theory of Public Choice, which deals with techniques of public sector resource allocation.
During the 1973-74 academic year Dr. P. William Vaught served as Acting Dean.
In 1974, Dr. Alex J. Simon was named Dean. He served until the end of 1975 fall term at which time Dr. Simon returned to full-time teaching.
1977, during Dean Vaught's tenure as dean, the school received its initial accreditation at the undergraduate level by the AACSB. Under Dean Vaught's leadership the School of Business was granted a Beta Gamma Sigma national honor society in business charter on April 10, 1978. This prestigious organization is only available to AACSB accredited institutions.
Dr. Ben B. McNew was named Dean in 1980 and served until 1988. In 1983, under Dean McNew's leadership, the School of Business received initial graduate accreditation and reaffirmation of undergraduate accreditation by the AACSB. In 1984-85 the Department of Accounting and Information Systems was split forming the new Department of Information Systems (changed to Computer Information Systems in 1986). Dean McNew initiated the establishment of the Jack O. Weatherford Chair of Finance, and the proposal which resulted in the Jennings A. Jones Chair of Excellence in Free Enterprise. Dean McNew resigned as Dean to become the first chairholder of the Carmichael Chair of Economics at the University of Central Arkansas.
Dr. E. Dwight Bullard served as Acting Dean from May until October 1988.
Dr. Barbara S. Haskew became Dean in October 1988 and served until the spring of 1995. In 1991 the School of Business became the College of Business. Under Dr. Haskew all of the programs of the College of Business received reaffirmation of accreditation by the AACSB. Dean Haskew was instrumental in filling and developing the Jennings A. Jones Chair of Excellence in Free Enterprise. Ambassador Joe M. Rodgers became the Chairholder and worked with three campus liaisons, Drs. James F. Steward, R. Earl Thomas, and E. James Burton. The Chair has been able to bring national and international speakers and local business executives to the campus to present seminars and programs to enrich classes and present topics of interest to the campus community.
During Dean Haskew's term as Dean, the College of Business received approval for a new Business and Aerospace Building. The 163,000 sq. ft., $22-million building includes 41 master classrooms, a 200-seat university computer lab, a 235 seat lecture hall, three student lounges, an organization meeting room, 5 meeting rooms to accommodate different size groups, an aerospace lab, weather center, wind tunnel, three lobbies, 150 faculty offices, 6 department office complexes, 5 centers, 2 endowed professorships, chairs of excellence centers, a graduate and undergraduate advising center, and a Dean's office complex.
In addition to service as dean, Dr. Haskew held a joint appointment as Interim Vice President for Development and University Relations during the 1993-94 academic year. She accepted the position of Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs in the fall semester of 1995.
Dr. E. Dwight Bullard served as Interim Dean during the 1995-96 academic year.
In June 1996, Dr. Rick Elam became Dean. He oversaw the completion and moving of the college to the new building. Dean Elam made organization changes in the administrative structure of the college, pushed for curriculum change in the core requirements for business majors, and expanded the academic advising process for business students. Dean Elam announced at the beginning of the 1998-99 academic year that he would step down as Dean at the end of the year.
In 1997, Dr. E. James Burton became the Executive Director of the Jones Chairs of Excellence, and the coordination functions were moved from the College of Business to the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. The University has two Jones Chairs:
- The Jennings A. Jones Chair of Excellence in Free Enterprise
- The Jennings and Rebecca Jones Chair of Excellence in Urban and Regional Planning
Dr. Burton became the Dean of the College of Business at the beginning of the fall
1999 semester. Dean Burton added an Assistant to the Dean and a Director of Leadership
Middle Tennessee to the administrative staff during the 1999 fall semester. In 1999
responsibility for the Jennings A. Jones Chair of Excellence in Free Enterprise returned
to the College of Business. The Jennings and Rebecca Jones Chair of Excellence in
Urban and Regional Planning remains an interdisciplinary endeavor reporting to the
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. Administrative support for this Chair
is provided by the College of Business.
Jones College of Business received reaffirmation of business accreditation from the AACSB in 2001 and 2012. The Department of Accounting achieved initial accounting accreditation from the AACSB in 2003 and reaffirmation in 2012.
Dr. Burton initiated a codification of faculty performance expectations and a preliminary look at admissions standards for the College. Each of these remains in the active continuous improvement process.
During Dean Burton’s tenure as dean, alumnus Andrew Woodfin Miller Sr. donated $10 million to create for what would eventually become the Andrew Woodfin Miller Sr. Education Center. The center, constructed in a former medical clinic that was part of the Rutherford Hospital Complex on Bell Street, would have a substantial portion devoted to the Jennings A. Jones College of Business Executive Education Center. Alumnus Joey Jacobs also made a commitment of $2.5 million, matched by the State of Tennessee, to establish the Joey Jacobs Chair of Excellence in Accounting.
Dean Burton announced in 2012 that he would step down as Dean in June 2013.
Dr. David J. Urban became Dean in July 2013. Dean Urban spearheaded transformation of the part-time MBA program to a new “Flex MBA” program with 12-month accelerated and 100 percent online options, launched in Fall 2015. Master of Science programs in Management and Finance started in 2013 and 2015, respectively, along with a new Business Intelligence/ Analytics concentration in the Information Systems MS program in 2015. Accelerated bachelor’s-to-master’s (ABM) programs were added in Economics and Information Systems.
Dean Urban spurred a comprehensive review of the undergraduate core curriculum, making room for the addition of the Dale Carnegie® Course as a required course in the undergraduate curriculum effective in fall 2015. He established an Executive-in-Residence position to enhance professional development at the graduate level. At the undergraduate level, the IGNITE professional development program began in the Department of Management and Marketing, but was eventually opened to all undergraduate business students.
The adoption of MTSU’s Quest for Student Success led to the construction of a new Advising Center in the BAS Building and the doubling of the undergraduate advising staff. These advising improvements led to substantial gains in student retention and persistence rates.
In the areas of advancement, Dean Urban received four gifts exceeding $1 million, several new scholarship endowments, and funding for a new faculty/staff awards program. He sparked the development of several initiatives in branding and marketing via print, broadcast, online, and outdoor media, including the creation of a new college magazine, new annual report, and new brand identity with logos and wordmarks for all administrative units in the college. The Jones College achieved recognition as a “Best for Vets” business school in 2014 and 2016. The Entrepreneurship program was the main reason for MTSU being ranked 17th nationally in the 2016 ratings of “Best Universities for Aspiring Entrepreneurs.” The Master of Accountancy program was ranked 39th in the country in 2017. Dean Urban also accepted the Dale Carnegie® Global Leadership Award on behalf of the Jones College in 2017.
In administration, Dean Urban drove the creation of a new college-wide strategic plan, instituted a variety of mechanisms for improving communication, and implemented a new system for evaluating faculty research quality. The previous Department of Business Communication and Entrepreneurship, as well as the Department of Management and Marketing, were reorganized into the current Department of Management and Department of Marketing. He hired over 40 new faculty and staff members.
In research, Dean Urban worked with faculty to start two new statewide surveys—the Tennessee Consumer Outlook Index and the Tennessee Business Barometer—that monitor perceptions of the economy among consumers and business leaders on a quarterly basis. He hired a new Director for the college’s Business and Economic Research Center (BERC), and allocated internal funding to each department, to encourage joint faculty-student research projects. Dean Urban procured new research database subscriptions, research software licenses, and instructional software.
In addition to the new advising center, other key improvements to the college physical plant included the design and construction of the Jones College Executive Education Center that opened in 2016. Additional improvements to the BAS Building were: a complete renovation of the main computer lab; new computer labs for the PhD program in Economics and the Business Intelligence/ Analytics program; a new video production lab; a new Financial Analysis Center; a new Sales Lab; a new faculty/staff meeting space; a new Entrepreneurship suite; and renovations to all faculty offices, several “master classrooms” and regular classrooms, the common hallways, and the central courtyard.
Jones College transitioned to the 2013 AACCB revised accreditation standards and completed a Continuous Improvement Review (CIR) in 2016, resulting in a 5-year extension of accreditation for the business and accounting programs.
|Elwin W. (Wink) Midgett||Department Head||1946-64|
|Firman L. Cunningham||Dean||1964-73|
|P. William Vaught||Acting Dean||1973-74|
|Alex J. Simon||Dean||1974-75|
|P. William Vaught||Dean||1975-80|
|Ben B. McNew||Dean||1980-88|
|E. Dwight Bullard||Acting Dean||1988|
|Barbara S. Haskew||Dean||1988-95|
|E. Dwight Bullard||Interim Dean||1995-96|
|E. James Burton||Dean||1999-2013|
|First Business Courses||1939|
|First Business Department||1946|
|First Business Degree||1947|
|Midgett Business Building Opened||1959|
|First School under University designation||1965|
|First MBA degree||1969|
|AACSB Undergraduate Accreditation||1977|
|Beta Gamma Sigma Charter||1978|
|AACSB Graduate Accreditation||1983|
|AACSB Reaffirmation of Accreditation||1992|
|Business and Aerospace Building Opened||1997|
|AACSB Reaffirmation of Accreditation||2001|
|AACSB Initial Accounting Accreditation||2004|
|Dale Carnegie Course||2015|
|Executive Education Center||