UWC tutors and staff can assist your students by conducting 45-minute, interactive workshops. Requests for available workshops below should be made at least two weeks in advance. Specialized co-created workshops should be requested at least a month in advance. Availability may be limited on certain days and times.
- Integrating sources with MLA: Citations and Academic Integrity Workshop: 45-minute, interactive workshop designed to introduce students to MLA concepts. Students will learn to evaluate sources, understand plagiarism, quote/paraphrase/summarize, create in-text/parenthetical citations, and build a Works Cited page.
- Integrating sources with APA: Citations and Academic Integrity Workshop: 45-minute, interactive workshop designed to introduce students to APA concepts. Students will learn to evaluate sources, understand plagiarism, quote/paraphrase/summarize, create in-text/parenthetical citations, and build a References page.
- Poster and Pitch: 45-minute, interactive workshop designed to introduce students to the foundations of presenting a poster and elevator pitch to an audience. Students will learn elements of design, design options for posters, and the components of a successful elevator pitch.
- PowerPoints that Pop: 45-minute, interactive workshop designed to introduce students to effective strategies in creating quality PowerPoints with the audience in mind. Students will learn how to best communicate words, data, figures/tables, and images through thoughtful design.
- University Writing Expectations: 45-minute, interactive workshop designed to help students understand and embrace university writing expectations. Students will reflect on their own writing identities and practices as well as strategize ways to tackle writing challenges.
- MT Engage ePortfolio Writing Workshop: 45-minute, interactive workshop conducted by the UWC MT Engage Program Coordinator. Students will learn what an ePortfolio is, how to select or create ePortfolio content, and how to write reflectively in an ePortfolio.
- We also have digital writing workshops available to embed in D2L course shells or to show in class. Visit our Writing Resources Online page to access these workshop videos.
Specialized Co-Created Workshops:
The University Writing Center understands that our available workshops may not cover all of your writing needs. If you would like a specialized project-specific or discipline-specific workshop, we would be happy to co-create one with you. Specialized co-created workshops must be requested at least a month in advance to allow time for planning and creating the workshop as well as preparing writing center tutors or staff to facilitate the workshop with you. To request a specialized co-created workshop, fill out our workshop request form and select the “Specialized Co-Created Workshop” option. Include 1-2 achievable writing objectives that you would like to be the focus of the 45-minute, interactive workshop. You may also include a brief description of an associated writing project. Once we have received your form, a UWC staff member will contact you to discuss the next steps.
Examples of previous specialized workshops include Writing as a Historian, Reflective Writing in Education, Public Policy Writing, and Writing in IMRaD Format.
For any questions about class visits or writing workshops, contact UWC Director Dr. Erica Cirillo-McCarthy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Walker Library, Room 362