The Writing Center supports all levels of writers in all disciplines at any stage of the writing process for any kind of written project or assignment including multimedia projects. We offer 45-minute sessions face-to-face or online as well as group sessions and long-term writing partnerships.
- Face-to-Face Session: A 45-minute session where writers work on any kind of writing with a tutor in LIB 362.
- Online Live Chat Session: A 45-minute session where writers work with a tutor in real time using audio-visual technology through WCONLINE. Writers without audio-visual capabilities can use the chatbox. Changes made to the writing can be accessed at any time by clicking on the appointment and choosing "Start or Join Online Session."
- Document Drop Session: A 45-minute, asynchronous session where writers fill out an appointment form and attach their writing with an assignment sheet if one is available. During the 45-minute timeframe, a tutor reviews the writer’s concerns, reads the writing, and provides feedback on the document. At the end of the session, the tutor sends the feedback via email through a Client Report Form.
- Writing Partnership: A program that allows writers to meet weekly at the same day and time with the same tutor to work toward the writer's goals. For more information or to request a Writing Partnership, see our Writing Partnership page.
- Group Tutoring: A session in which a tutor facilitates collaboration on a group project. All group members must be working on a single project. If not all group members are present, the attending writer is expected to share all information from the session with the other group members.
- Be on time! This will help you make the most of your appointment. Appointments are held for ten minutes past the start time. After ten minutes, the appointment is marked as a "no show," and the remainder of the appointment time is made available for walk-ins.
- Be prepared! Bring/attach your paper if you already have a draft and the assignment sheet if one is available. For online live chat sessions, you can paste your draft on the whiteboard as well. If you need to print your paper for face-to-face sessions, you can show up a few minutes early to print so that you can use all of your session time to focus on your paper. Feel free to bring your own personal computer or device--we can work from there too!
- Have an open mind! We will use a variety of strategies to help you reach your goals.
- Need proof of attendance? We will email you a Client Report Form following the end of your session. This form can be emailed or printed for your instructor.
- Working on an exam? Have your instructor contact us! We are happy to work with you on written exams with advance notice and permission from your instructor. Permission should be emailed from your instructor to one of our administrative staff or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To access the schedule, go to https://mtsu.mywconline.com. If you don't have a WCONLINE account, select " register for an account." Fill out the form using your MTSU email address.
- Once you have logged-in to the site, the schedule will appear starting with the present day. You may also view future weeks by clicking "Next Week >" at the top.
- To schedule an appointment, click on an uncolored, white box beside a tutor's name. The white block must be for a one-hour block. A new window will open with the tutor's name at the top. All appointments are 45-minute sessions.
- Make sure you have selected the right type of session. Tutors working in LIB 362 can conduct face-to-face, online live chat, and document drop sessions. Virtual tutors are listed as Online Only and can conduct online live chat and document drop sessions.
- Fill out the form with as much information as possible; this will help us best serve you.
- If you are unable to schedule an appointment at a specific time because the schedule
is full, you may use the Wait-List feature:
- Click the words "Waiting List" at the bottom right of each day's schedule. You may then specify which times you would like an appointment.
- Click "Join the Waiting List."
- The system will email or text you if the time becomes available.
- Access WC Online or call us to schedule your appointment in the requested time slot. You will NOT be automatically filled into the available space. Appointments are always first come, first served.
- If you need assistance navigating the site or if you'd like to make an appointment over the phone, email us at email@example.com or call us at 615-904-8237.
- Reminder: If you cannot attend your session, please call us, email us, or cancel your appointment using WC Online before your session time so that we can make the appointment time available for another student.
Walker Library, Room 362