Contact Information and FAQs

Registration Questions

What do I do when students email me before the semester, asking to get into my class?

Except for extenuating circumstances, the English Department does not issue closed class permits for general education classes. You can encourage the student to keep checking Pipeline for open seats or take the class next semester. You can also simply forward those emails to
Seats open up after the purge and during the drop/add period when students are switching sections. Caps are also raised throughout the registration period to give every student an opportunity to build a workable schedule.

What do I do when students who are not registered for my class show up on the first day?

Send them directly to the General Education English Office: PH 324. Do not let them attend class. University policy states that students cannot attend a class for which they are not registered.

Should I sign a drop/add form if I really don’t mind taking on another student?

No. Instead, call, email, write a note, or visit the General Education English Office letting us know you are okay with the student adding. We will investigate, and if the student has a legitimate claim, the director can sign the form. It is in the best interest of the student to begin class on day one.

What do I do if a student is registered for my class, attends on the first day, and then is purged?

Tell the student to keep attending class. In the meantime, send Jayrah an email ( verifying that this student has, in fact, been attending your class. Then, send the student to PH 324 for the director’s signature. 

If the student comes to us first, be on the lookout for a call or email from Jayrah inquiring whether the student has been attending.

Will any new students appear on my roster after the drop/add period?

Probably not. Purged students will reappear on your list after they straighten out their finances. If a new student appears, it means that the General Education English office determined that a late registrant had a legitimate claim and a good chance of succeeding in your class despite the fact that it is already underway. In this case, we will either call or send you email.

What is the deadline for withdrawal? What if a student misses the deadline and wants to avoid an F?

The deadline for the last day to withdraw varies from semester to semester, but you can find the information for each semester in the Registration Guide. The deadline listed indicates the last day a student can drop on their own in Pipeline. Please make sure your students know the W deadline. 

After the deadline, students may still obtain a W through a signed Late Registration Form (the same form used for drop/adds at the beginning of the semester). Students in K classes must use the Late Registration Form to drop throughout the semester. The General Education English office will only sign forms until the last day of classes. 


 Syllabi and Curriculum

Does the General Education English office have copies of sample syllabi and appropriate assignments for the general education courses?

Yes. Check out the GenEd English Faculty Guide, also linked under “Our OER Textbooks” tab. 

You can also learn about developing syllabi and assignments at the annual General Education English Orientation, the biannual Curriculum Meeting, and at various professional development workshops and opportunities hosted by our office throughout the semester.

Is there a standard curriculum for the composition courses?

There are standard learning objectives. Check out the GenEd English Faculty Guide, also linked under “Our OER Textbooks” tab, for information on the True Blue Core learning objectives and how you can apply them to the General Education English courses.

What if I have other questions about the curriculum or my teaching?

If you don’t find answers to your questions on this website or in the GenEd English Faculty Guide, don’t hesitate to send an email to Jayrah Trapp (, the General Education English Administrative Assistant, or the Director of General Education English, Dr. Christopher Weedman (, an email. We are here to help.


Practical Matters

Where can I find office supplies?

A limited number of office supplies are available in the supply closet in PH 303. You can also find more office supplies and gradebooks by contacting Nicole in the Undergraduate Studies English Office: PH 309 (red hallway).

Where can I make copies?

PH 303 contains both the faculty mailboxes and the copier. Departmental administrative assistants, instructors, and student workers have access to the copier, and you may drop off materials you would like to be copied and/or scanned. Any of the administrative assistants can show you how to use the copier if you would like to make your own copies. More detailed instructions for this procedure are posted in PH 303. Please submit copy orders 24-48 hours before you plan on using them in classes to give the administrative assistants and student workers plenty of time to get to your job.

Is there a way to visit my classroom(s) before the first day of classes?

The fastest way to get information on your classrooms is through using 25Live. Select the building your course meets in from the right-hand menu, and then click directly on your room number to the left. This will give you information about the technologies in the room, the seating capacity, and will also provide pictures from inside the space.

Where can I get keys to my classroom(s)?

If your class meets in Peck Hall, you should visit Amanda Triplett in the Graduate Studies office: PH 316 (yellow hallway). She will be able to provide keys for your room or inform you if your room uses your MTSU ID card for access. Classroom keys should be returned to Amanda at the end of the semester.

What’s the procedure for canceling classes?

Email at least two secretaries and CC Dr. Christopher Weedman. If you want them to post a notice on your classroom door with special instructions for your students, please include a draft of that message along with your classroom number and time. Canceled classes should be avoided whenever possible, but if you must cancel, try to give your students an assignment that can be completed outside of class or can be posted on D2L.

How many office hours should I hold?

Instructors should hold one office hour per class per week. For example, FTTs teaching five classes should have office hours for five hours per week. Adjuncts teaching one class should hold one office hour per week.

Where is my office?

All FTTs, adjuncts, and Dual Enrollment instructors should watch for an email from for your office assignment. Most offices are shared. The GTA office is PH 304A. Contact Amanda Triplett ( in the Graduate Studies office for swipe card access.

Where can I find information about student support resources?

The Office of Student Success details many health, financial, and other assistance resources available to all MTSU students. Browse around for all the University has to offer in support of our students.


Facebook Logo  Twitter Logo

Contact Information

General Education English Director:

Dr. Christopher Weedman
Peck Hall 324

(615) 898-2579