Frequently Asked Questions

What is my application status?

Please check your Graduate Student Portal. All admissions decisions will be received through this real-time portal.

Where do I send application materials?

After submitting and paying for your application, your application will be processed by our graduate analysts.  Once this occurs, you will receive an email from the College of Graduate Studies with further admissions instructions.  You will receive your M Number and MTmail account in that email.  Please upload any admissions materials into your Graduate Student Portal.  You will not be able to upload any official documents, such as transcripts or test scores. 

Please note: All materials received become the property of MTSU and cannot be returned to the student or forwarded to a third party.

How long does it take to receive my admission decision?

Once your application packet has been completed, we will route it to your program of interest. Some programs respond within a few days but others have specific deadlines. Please check with your program of interest for their timeframe.

Can I submit unofficial copies of admissions documents?

 No.  All test scores and transcripts must be official. They must come form the crediting college or university. This includes any Dual Enrollment participation.

Have you received my application documents?

Please check your Graduate Student Portal. Official transcripts and test scores are processed manually on a first-come, first-served basis. Your patience is appreciated.

What scholarships or funding opportunities are available?

Most scholarships are awarded in spring for the next academic year.  You can see our list of scholarships or learn about becoming a graduate assistant on our Paying for Graduate School  page.

Do I need to request MTSU transcripts?

No.  Our graduation analysts can access your MTSU transcripts through our systems.

How do I submit my other transcripts?

Please follow the directions on the Application Process page. Official transcripts and test scores are processed manually on a first-come, first-served basis. Your patience is appreciated.

What is EVEA and how do I fulfill the requirement?

The Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act (EVEA) requires state public institutions of higher education to verify that persons seeking a “state public benefit” are either a “United States citizen” or “lawfully present” in the United States.

Please upload your documentation here using your Pipeline credentials. Graduate Studies cannot accept emailed attachments. 

For applicants claiming U.S. citizenship without a Citizenship-Confirmed FAFSA submit a copy of one (1) of the following documents:

  • A valid Tennessee driver license or photo identification license;
  • A valid driver license or photo identification license from another state (except for Utah and New Mexico);
  • An official birth certificate issued by a U.S. state, jurisdiction, or territory, except for Puerto Rican birth certificates issued before July 1, 2010;

Who can I ask for help?

  • For general questions about Graduate Studies or the admissions process, email
  • For questions about classes, contact your academic advisor.
  • For questions about Commencement, check our website.  If that doesn't answer your question, contact
  • For questions about Commencement regalia and invitations, contact the MTSU Bookstore at
  • For questions about Financial Aid, contact
  • For questions about immunizations, including holds based on them, contact Health Services at
  • For questions about payment, billing, employee waivers, etc., contact the Business Office at
  • For questions about shipment of your diploma after commencement, contact Records at

Contact Us

Follow us on social media:

Twitter    Facebook    Instagram    LinkedIn