Buchanan Transfer Fellowship
We're now accepting applications for the 2024 Buchanan Transfer Fellowship.
Applications are due February 15, 2024.
The Honors College is home to the Buchanan Transfer Fellowship, named in honor of MTSU's Nobel Prize winning alumnus, Dr. James M. Buchanan. The Buchanan Transfer Fellowship is limited to 30 students per year. It is the highest award given to students transferring to Middle Tennessee State University and entering their junior year. Buchanan Transfer Fellows will participate in a special seminar together in their first semester and will complete a minimum of 11 hours of honors coursework.
- Students who qualify for in-state tuition: $3,500 per semester (up to four semesters)
- Students who qualify for out-of-state tuition: $7,000 per semester (up to four semesters)
- Early registration
- Up to $2,500 for approved study abroad or away programs, participation in scholarly conferences or related activities while at MTSU
- minimum of 60 hours of college or university coursework*
- 3.5 grade point average or higher (inclusive of all institutions including any coursework already taken at MTSU - if applicable)
*Students may apply with fewer hours if they anticipate completing 60 hours by the fall.
Course Requirements for Buchanan Transfer Fellows (11 hours)
- Research Seminar, UH 3900 (3 hours)
- Honors Thesis, UH 4900 & 4950 (4 hours)
- Honors Lecture Series, UH 3000 (1 hour)
- 3 hours of any-level Honors course
NOTE: Buchanan Transfer Fellowship course requirements cannot be completed as an online (or evenings-only) program.
MTSU Box 267
1301 E. Main St.
Murfreesboro, TN 37132
Have a question?? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions below!