Nearly four million undergraduates are parents
(www.iwpr.org Briefing Paper #C496, April 2021).
At the June Anderson Center for Women and Nontraditional Students, we understand the
additional level of responsibility our students with dependents have. Please see the
resources we have available. If there are any resources you would like to suggest,
please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Child Care Fund
Starting Fall 2022, The June Anderson Center will be offering a Child Care Fund to assist student parents in funding child care so that they may work on their education. Applications for Spring 2024 are being reviewed. DUE TO THE SNOW WEEK, NOTIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN DELAYED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE.
Guidelines for Application Submissions
About the JAC Child Care Fund
- The JAC Child Care Fund is intended only as a supplement. Typically, children enrolled in a licensed child care program will be awarded $1,000. Each additional child enrolled in a licensed child care program will be awarded $500. Children enrolled in a licensed before-and-after school program will be awarded $250 each. Based on current Murfreesboro market rates, this is estimated to cover around 28 percent of full-time child care tuition and before-and-after care.
- Undergraduate students with children enrolled in licensed child care will receive priority application status over undergraduate students with children enrolled in a licensed before-and-after school program due to the high cost of child care.
- Undergraduate students are encouraged to apply to Smart Steps under the TN Department of Human Services. The JAC Child Care Fund can be combined with the Smart Steps certificate to pay any remaining copays.
- Please do not wait to find child care until hearing if you are awarded the JAC Child Care Fund. Most child care centers have long waiting lists. Start your search early. If you are unsure how to find child care, please contact the June Anderson Center for assistance.
- Must be an undergraduate MTSU student enrolled in at least 3 or more credit hours.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2023-2024 award year.
- Must be the primary residential parent or court approved guardian of a child aged twelve years or younger or maintain 50/50 custody of a child aged twelve years or younger.
- Must have dependent children enrolled or intend to enroll dependent children in a licensed childcare program and/or before-and-after school program.
- Must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 each semester or be a first-time applicant.
- Must meet with JAC Staff to review application in person or via Zoom, if you are a first-time recipient of the JAC Child Care Grant.
- Submit the June Anderson Center Child Care Grant application and authorize the MTSU Financial Aid and Scholarship Office to release relevant confidential information.
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2023-24 award year.
- If first-time recipient of the JAC Child Care Grant, submit birth certificate of child;
or State of TN parenting plan; or power of attorney paperwork for care of your minor
- If out-of-state student, please contact the June Anderson Center.
- Submit a recent receipt or bank statement as proof of childcare/ before and after school expense for each child.
- Applications will be reviewed after the submission deadline closes. First-time recipients of the JAC Child Care Grant will be contacted within one week to schedule a meeting with JAC. Required documentation will be discussed during the meeting.
Selection Criteria (for administration)
- Application process will remain open for 1 month.
- Sliding scale award based on child’s age. Children younger than 6 and not enrolled in kindergarten will receive greater financial support. However, funding may be available for student parents with children 6-12 years of age that require before and after school care. This information will be obtained from the June Anderson Child Care Grant application.
- Student parents with more than one child may be eligible for more financial support depending on the number of children and the ages of the children.
- If funding is available for the summer, student parents enrolled in summer classes may use the grant for childcare, ESP programs, and/or summer camps.
Additional requirement of award recipients
- During the Fall and Spring semesters, grant money can only be used for programs that are licensed under the Department of Human Services (DHS) or under the supervision of the Department of Education (DOE). Grant money cannot be given to family members, friends, or babysitters.
- Grant money cannot be used for private school tuition or homeschool expenses.
- Grant money will not be available for children enrolled in Head Start, the TN Voluntary Pre-K program or the Tn Integrated Pre-K program unless the child requires additional before/after school care.
- Grant money may be applied towards the Boys and Girls Club of America and any alternative after school program that is approved by JAC Staff.
- Student parents failing to meet semester GPA requirements may submit a one-time appeal for consideration in the event of exceptional circumstances. All exceptional circumstances must be documented. Appeals will only be considered if additional funds remain after the initial application cycle is complete.
- Student parents whose appeal is denied, may reapply for the grant after waiting one academic year.
Students with Dependents on GROUPME!
If you are interested in joining a Students with Dependents GROUPME, please email email@example.com for the group information.
Lactation Space on Campus
The June Anderson Center hosts a lactation space on the 3rd Floor of the Student Union Building. It is located in Room 332, around the corner from the restrooms. Please slide the marker located outside the door so that others know that a chair is in use. We have three chairs, each with a curtain for your privacy. There is also a sink located in the room. Should you have any questions or concerns regarding our lactation space, please feel free to stop into the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership (STU 330) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Child Care Offerings ON CAMPUS
MTSU hosts several child care offerings on campus. Please see those opportunities at: https://www.mtsu.edu/pcsw/childcare.php
*Please note The June Anderson Center is not a child care facility.
Child Care Offerings OFF CAMPUS
The June Anderson Center has compiled a list of child care offerings and openings off-campus. Please see the Google Sheet here: Off-Campus Child Care Centers
For information about qualifying for the CHILD CARE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM, which pays for part of the parent’s child care fees, please visit the Tennessee Department of Human Services webpage at https://www.tn.gov/humanservices/for-families/child-care-services/child-care-payment-assistance.html
*The June Anderson has no affiliation with any off-campus centers, drop-in care, or babysitting services. Please note The June Anderson Center is not a child care facility.
The Tennessee Child Care Resource and Referral Agency has compiled a set of videos for the June Anderson Center outlining the following information:
How to Choose Quality Early Child Care for Your Child
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lUKjSLXZyE&list=PLYy7NRoLdUEPacthZmMiY7kl0eidyU0Tg&index=4 (YouTube link ONLY)
What to Look For (PDF)
Pinnacle National Honor Society
As parents, students of any age are considered nontraditional students. Please see our Pinnacle National Honor Society on information about joining their student organization.
MTSU Student Parent Resource Guide
This quick guide can assist you in finding resources for you and your family, including both on- and off-campus assistance!
School Supplies Donation
The June Anderson Center welcomes donations of school supplies to distribute to our parenting students and their families.
|Index Card Cases
|Plastic Pencil Cases
|Dry Erase Markers
|3x3 Sticky Notes
|3x5 Index Cards
|3 Ring Binders
|3 Ring Binders
|Crayola Fine Line
Markers, 10 Count
|Crayola Broad Line
Markers, 10 Count
Pockets and Prongs
Loose Leaf Paper
You can drop off donations when the office is open in STU 330, or simply purchase items from an Amazon Wish list to be sent straight to the Center: Amazon Wish List is being updated. Please check back soon.
You may also write a check to the MTSU Foundation with the memo line: Fund 92318 Day Care Lab.