Award for Outstanding Teaching in General Education
Excellence in teaching is at the heart of MTSU’s mission, and the university community is proud of the commitment, talent, and expertise of those members of the faculty who teach courses in General Education. Courses in General Education represent one-third of the requirements for the baccalaureate degree and help to provide students with the common, hallmark qualities of an educated person, the skills and interrelated knowledge that are the foundation and scaffolding for an academic major and a future career.
This award, created in academic year 2012-13, recognizes outstanding teaching in General Education. The award recipient, who will receive $3000, will be announced at the Annual Fall Faculty Meeting in August.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations will be accepted from MTSU students, faculty, administrators, and alumni.
- Click here to make a nomination with access via Single Sign On (SSO).
- Nominations must be received by February 15, 2023.
Guidelines for Eligibility
MTSU faculty members, both full-time and adjunct, are eligible for nomination if they meet all of the following criteria.
An eligible nominee
- must receive a nomination from at least two of the four nominating groups (students, faculty, administrators, and alumni);
- must have served on the MTSU faculty for the previous three years;
- must have taught a minimum of six General Education class sections during the previous three years;
- must be teaching at least one General Education class during the year of nomination;
- cannot be a previous recipient of this award.
Nominees who fulfill the eligibility requirements will be asked to submit the following materials:
- Cover letter that summarizes major accomplishments in General Education teaching
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of General Education Teaching Philosophy that highlights how the faculty member addresses the General Education Learning Outcomes
- Student Evaluations from the last six General Education classes taught
- Chair/Teaching Supervisor and/or Peer Evaluations (maximum of two)
- Letters of support (maximum of two)
- Course Syllabus from General Education course(s) taught during the year of nomination
The deadline for submission of materials is March 24, 2023.
A Subcommittee of the University Committee on General Education will serve as the Award Committee. The voting membership of the Award Committee will have at least one faculty representative from each of the Colleges represented on the General Education Committee and one student representative. The Director of General Education will serve ex officio. The Award Committee will examine each nominee’s submission materials for evidence of outstanding teaching in General Education.
- 2021-2022 Christina M. Cobb, University Studies Department
- 2020-2021 Kim Sadler, Department of Biology
- 2019-2020 Michael Paulauskas, Department of History
- 2018-2019 Aliou Ly, Department of History
- 2017-2018 Brian Frank, Department of Astronomy and Physics
- 2016-2017 Julie Myatt, Department of English
- 2015-2016 Jennifer Kates, Department of English
- 2014-2015 Mary Magada Ward, Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies
- 2013-2014 Lori Kissinger, Department of Theatre and Dance
- 2012-2013 Dawn McCormack, Department of History